Barry specialises in technology and intellectual property transactions, data privacy and protection, commercial contract and social media matters. He has extensive experience of advising major international companies and private equity funds on a range of issues including the technology and IP aspects of private equity and M&A transactions, IP and technology acquisitions and divestitures, outsourcings (including IT and BPOs), international licensing arrangements, strategic alliances and general commercial matters including manufacturing, supply, distribution and agency arrangements.
Barry also extensively advises on data privacy matters and counsels clients on the implications and exploitation of social media. He is a frequent speaker on technology, IP, cyber security and data privacy issues, including European data privacy laws within the context of international M&A transactions.
Barry is recommended for TMT by Legal 500 UK, which also describes his TMT practice as showing “cutting-edge knowledge and keen commercial sense.”
Representative experience includes advising:
- Facebook in a wide range of e-commerce transactional and advisory matters in the UK, including its landmark $16 billion acquisition of WhatsApp, the cross-platform mobile messaging application provider
- eBay Inc. in its acquisition of Shutl Limited, a developer and operator of a SaaS platform that enables immediate delivery of online shopping via local same-day courier companies
- Yahoo! Inc. on the acquisition of Summly Limited, a UK iPhone applications developer
- Technology Crossover Ventures on its acquisition of minority stake in Spotify, provider of a digital music-streaming service
- Avista Capital Partners and Nordic Capital in their joint offer for Swiss pharmaceutical company Acino
- Mubadala Development Company in its consortium acquisition of EMI Group Music Publishing operations
- Getty Images on data protection and privacy matters