Mr. Gietz’s representation involves a range of industries, including healthcare, financial services and steel.
Recent M&A transactions include advising:
- Genworth Financial, Inc. as corporate counsel on its $2.7 billion sale to China Oceanwide Holdings Group Company Ltd.
- Centennial Resource Development, Inc. (f/k/a Silver Run Acquisition Corp., a SPAC) in its $1.7 billion acquisition of a controlling stake in Centennial Resource Production, LLC and its subsequent $855 million acquisition of all of the leasehold interests and related upstream assets in Reeves County, Texas from Silverback Exploration, LLC and Silverback Operating, LLC
- Eli Lilly in its acquisitions of the North American rights to the oncology product Erbitux®, Locemia Solutions ULC, Glycostasis, Novartis Animal Health, Lohmann Animal Health, ChemGen, Agri Stats, Avid Pharmaceuticals and Alzheimer’s imaging agents from Siemens Medical Solutions; and in its sale of veterinary assets to Virbac SA
- QLT Inc. in its acquisition of Aegerion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and in its minority investment in Aralez Pharmaceuticals Plc
- GECC in the sale of its North American tank car rail assets and railcar repair business to Marmon Holdings, Inc., sale of its remaining North American railcar leasing business to Wells Fargo & Co., investment in and restructuring of the EBX Group and the sale of its Mexican consumer mortgage loan business to Santander Bank
- GE Aviation Systems in its acquisitions of Naverus and Airfoil Technologies
- Ripple Brand Collective, LLC in its sale to The Hershey Company
- Barclays, as financial advisor to Gentiva Health Services, Inc., in Gentiva's $1.8 billion sale to Kindred Healthcare, Inc.
- AK Steel Corporation in its $700 million acquisition of integrated steelmaking assets in Dearborn, Michigan from Severstal North America and in its joint venture with Magnetation
- Australian biopharmaceutical company Fibrotech in its sale to Shire plc
- Lehman Brothers in the sale of its Archstone business to Equity Residential and AvalonBay Communities
- Magellan Health, Inc. in its acquisitions of Veridicus Holdings, LLC, Armed Forces Services Corporation, 4D Pharmacy Management Systems, Inc., CDMI and Partners Rx
- Costa Inc. in its sale to Essilor International SA
- Franklin Templeton in its acquisition of K2 Advisors, Darby Holdings and Fiduciary Trust
- Citadel Broadcasting in its sale to Cumulus Media
- Safran in its acquisition of L-1
- General Motors in its sale to a government-sponsored entity
- Harbinger in its take-private acquisition of Sky Terra
- Genesis Lease Limited in its sale to AerCap Holdings
Mr. Gietz has been recognized in Chambers USA, Legal 500 US, New York Super Lawyers and has been featured as a “Dealmaker” by The American Lawyer. He was also recognized for client service excellence by BTI Consulting Group in its 2012 BTI Client Service All-Stars survey.
Mr. Gietz received his B.A. from Columbia College, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and his J.D. from the Columbia University School of Law, where he was a Harlan Fisk Stone Scholar.