Selected Transactional Experience
- Avista in its acquisition of ZEST Anchors, Inc.
- Getty Images on the intellectual property, technology and content licensing matters, including in connection with Getty Images’ acquisition of PicScout.
- Institut Pasteur including, the dispute between Institut Pasteur and the United States Government concerning the rightful discoverer of the AIDS virus and the inventorship of the AIDS diagnostic test, and collaboration agreements between Institut Pasteur and the United States Government concerning AIDS and avian flu.
- Lantheus Medical Imaging in several matters including its acquisition of products from Epix Pharmaceuticals.
- L’Oréal USA Inc. in its acquisition of Essie Cosmetics and Urban Decay Cosmetics.
- McGraw-Hill in the divestiture of its education business
- Pirelli & C. S.p.A. in most major matters involving technology and intellectual property over the past 20 years.
- Sanofi in numerous transactions, including its $125 million investment in Warp Drive Bio and its acquisitions of Pluromed, Inc., Genzyme Corporation, and Chattem, Inc.
- Signet Jewelers Limited in its approximately $1.4 billion acquisition of Zale Corporation.
- Thomas H. Lee Partners in its acquisition of 1-800 CONTACTS and Systems Maintenance Services.
- The Walt Disney Company in intellectual property aspects of its $4 billion acquisition of Marvel Entertainment.
Mr. Epstein is active in community, philanthropic and public service matters. He has served on advisory panels to Congress and to the National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine on intellectual property matters. He is a Trustee of the North Shore – LIJ Health System, the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Jewish Board of Family and Children’s Services and the Jonas Salk Foundation. He is a member of the Dean’s Advisory Council, College of Arts & Sciences, Lehigh University.
Mr. Epstein is the author of the treatises, Epstein on Intellectual Property and Modern Intellectual Property, a co-author of Online – Internet Law, International Intellectual Property, and a co-editor of Drafting License Agreements, The Corporate Counsellor’s Deskbook, The Departing Employee, Doing Business in Eastern Europe, Biotechnology Law, The Trademark Law Revision Act, Joint Ventures and Other Cooperative Business Arrangements, and Trade Secrets, Restrictive Covenants and Other Safeguards. He is the author of more than sixty articles on intellectual property law as well. He has lectured all over the world on intellectual property matters, including on such topics as trade secrets, biotechnology law, computer law, e-commerce, unfair competition, outsourcing, trademark law, licensing and non-compete agreements. Mr. Epstein is a founder and co-editor of Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal; and a member of the Editorial Boards of Computer Lawyer, Intellectual Property Strategist, and Cyberspace Lawyer.
Mr. Epstein is consistently recognized as a leading lawyer for Technology & Outsourcing in Chambers USA and is “praised for his outstanding ability in litigation and licensing, outsourcing and strategic alliance transactions.” He is also consistently “recommended” by Legal 500 US in technology transactions, outsourcing and patent licensing and as an “IP Star” for Licensing and Counseling by Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars. Mr. Epstein is ranked in IAM Patent 2014 where he is praised as a “‘creative, responsive, practical adviser who helps his clients become more successful,’” and he “‘develops exacting processes for the development of competitive products and services that exceed legal requirements, while fulfilling your business objectives.’”
Mr. Epstein is a member of the American Bar Association: Litigation Section; Intellectual Property Law Section; and Section on Business Law and a member of the New York State Bar Association: Intellectual Property Law Section.
Mr. Epstein is a member of the Firm’s Corporate Leadership Team and has been a member of the Firm’s Management Committee.