UNITED WAY OF NEW YORK CITY
United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is a nonprofit organization that mobilizes communities to break down barriers and build opportunities that improve the lives of low-income New Yorkers for the benefit of all. Part of the United Way Worldwide system, UWNYC is one of the world's most recognized charitable brands. UWNYC envisions caring communities in which all individuals and families have access to a quality education and the opportunity to lead healthy and financially secure lives. UWNYC strives to model its values in all relationships, both internal and external, along the principles of Collaboration, Compassion, Integrity, Accountability, and Superior Performance.
Associate, Justice and Opportunity
NEW YORK, NY
Supervisor: Vice President, Justice and Opportunity
Job Theme: Criminal Justice, Community Empowerment, Policy & Leadership
United Way of New York City (UWNYC) is seeking an Associate of Justice and Opportunity to support the newly developed Justice and Opportunity Team as they address the most urgent hurdles in the organization’s processes and initiatives.
The main emphasis within the Justice and Opportunity team will be ensuring the successful design of the Atlas Initiative for UWNYC. The NYC Atlas program is a voluntary program designed for individuals awaiting trial and facing the highest risks and needs, including factors associated with future justice system involvement or victimization. Atlas provides a variety of evidence-based supports namely credible mentorship, education, employment, and therapeutic services. Atlas will improve community vitality and public safety by increasing the strength and capacity of grassroots organizations and lifting up community-driven public safety.
UWNYC will look for the success of this program through the following activities:
- Work closely with the StrengthenNYC team to provide capacity building, community building, and technical assistance to Community Based Organizations (CBO) subcontractors.
- Work closely with the Transformation and Learning team to measure program goals, strategies, and outcomes, and ensure continuous learning and improvement for the program.
- Work closely with Finance and Administration staff to ensure procurement, contract compliance, and payment to CBOs.
- Helping to envision, define, incubate, and scale operational practices across the organization.
- Work with the Resource Development team to provide data, anecdotal information, and success stories to support fundraising opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications team to develop justice and opportunity materials and collateral, execute social and traditional media, and manage logistical planning for photo and video shoots.
- Help support day-to-day relationship with the Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice (MOCJ), working closely with their Office of Neighborhood Safety leadership, program staff, contracting and finance staff.
- Help manage the relationship with the New York City Criminal Justice Agency (CJA) and other referral partners as well as CBOs/providers to ensure referrals are completed.
- Help support relationships with therapeutic model experts and support CBOs with on-the-ground technical assistance and capacity building to ensure model fidelity, lead convenings and trainings.
- Assist in managing a referral hub, providing highest level of customer service and attention to detail.
- Assist in leading logistical planning for CBO convenings, trainings, site visits, and events.
- Help support meetings and convenings of external stakeholders by building and setting agendas, developing meeting materials, liaising with invitees and attendees, and ensuring follow up.
- Help support program compliance and outcomes measurement.
- Have a passion for UWNYC’s mission, vision, and accomplishments.
- Exhibit strong team skills with demonstrated leadership ability.
- Have exceptional interpersonal skills and proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, innovation, and initiative.
- Possess excellent writing, editing, verbal, presentation, and public speaking skills.
- Be an astute listener who can understand and reflect on issues presented.
- Be a results-oriented, innovative thinker with excellent judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Energetic self-starter who is highly organized persistent and detailed-oriented.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and quickly “change gears” as needed.
- Competency with Microsoft and basic internet research is required.