Earthwatch Institute is an international nonprofit organization that connects people with scientists to improve the health and sustainability of the planet. Since its founding in 1971, Earthwatch has empowered more than 200,000 participants to join leading scientists on field research expeditions around the world to support urgent environmental science and action, create transformative educational opportunities, and promote cultural awareness through community engagement and collaboration.
Supervisor: Program Manager and Sustainability Specialist
Job Theme: Environmental Justice, Program Development
The Innovator, serving as Impact Manager, will help align Earthwatch’s Sustainable Cities programs to several goals from an array of priorities including internal Risk Management, the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Indicators, and Targets and principals of Environmental Justice.
- The Innovator will help to design and document the impact of these programs on low-income and underrepresented populations in specific communities with particular focus on flooding, air quality, and heat.
- In an assessment of Earthwatch’s current programs against the SDGs and environmental justice impacts, the Innovator will help create a road map that identifies areas for growth to lead to positive impacts in these communities.
The role requires creativity and flexibility in an often fast paced environment. The Innovator will work closely with a team of Earthwatch staff and programmatic partners including corporate funders, vulnerable community members, teachers and students and research scientists to:
- Develop a detailed understanding of the SDGs and local and global environmental justice principles.
- Support community-based citizen science project implementation (for example: risk management documentation, curriculum and remote learning tools recommendations).
- Coordinate their work by setting realistic deadlines and managing a timeline.
- Assist in editing and creating risk management frameworks and tools for new programs.
- Conduct a review of programs under Earthwatch’s Sustainable Cities work and provide support and recommendations on next steps and best practices.
- Interview/survey staff, partners, and participants of these programs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent research skills and ability to analyze complex concepts.
- Excellent problem-solving skills; comfortable tackling problems head-on with flexibility and efficiency.
- Excellent social and interpersonal skills with ability to interact with diverse internal and external individuals.
- Spanish, coding (R, Python or other) and/or GIS skills are a plus.