The Posse Foundation is a nationally recognized youth leadership development and college access program that identifies, recruits, and trains diverse teams—Posses—of public high school students and sends them to top colleges and universities. To date, more than 10,000 Posse Scholars have been accepted into top-tier institutions of higher education throughout the country. These young people have received $1.6 billion in full-tuition leadership scholarships from Posse’s college and university partners and have been agents of positive change on their campuses. Posse’s unique and carefully structured, three-month selection process identifies candidates using criteria beyond academic achievement, including leadership talent, desire to succeed and ability to work constructively with people from diverse backgrounds. Posse’s high school through college programming makes it one of the most comprehensive programs of its kind in the nation.
NEW YORK, NY
Supervisor: Associate Vice President
The Weil Legal Innovator (Innovator) will be involved in collaborative, ideas driven, analytical work that directly contributes to the success of Posse’s programs. The Innovator will work closely with national departments/teams to support the growth of a legal pipeline and professional development curriculum for Scholars interested in pursuing legal careers and may also work to support the new Posse Arts Program and Posse Virtual Program.
Career, Alumni, and Graduate + Fellowship Programs (CAGF)
The law is a cornerstone of our society. It protects our safety, ensures our rights, creates accountability, and drives innovation. However, there is an alarming lack of diversity in the legal profession. According to the 2020 ABA Profile of the Legal Profession, of the 1,328,692 active lawyers in the United States, just 5% identified as Black, 5% identified as Hispanic, 2% identified as Asian, .04% identified as Native American, and .05% had a disability. Additionally, at law firms, only 4% of associates identified as members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and in 2019, just 10% of partners identified as people of color. Diverse legal leaders must be a part of solutions to the issues that challenge us as a nation. Posse is committed to addressing this lack of diversity and changing the face of leadership in the legal profession. Posse offers a range of resources to support the career and professional development of its Scholars and alumni.
- The Innovator will work with the Career, Alumni, and Graduate + Fellowship Programs (CAGF) to develop a structured pipeline and professional development curriculum that guides Scholars interested in pursuing legal careers and prepares them for success.
- The Innovator will have the opportunity to hone their leadership, research, analytic, program design, and presentation skills. The Innovator collaborates in the development of this pilot program from the ground up including developing and presenting a program concept based on research, Posse Career Program best practices, and Scholar and alumni data analysis.
- The Innovator will develop a project plan and work with CAGF, Posse Institute (responsible for data collection, analysis, and reporting), National Senior Leadership, and local sites to implement the pilot legal pipeline and professional development program.
The Posse Virtual Program (vPosse)
In 2020, The Posse Foundation adapted to a virtual model during the global pandemic. As a result of the overwhelming success of this online program, Posse decided the model could be modified to serve a greater number of students in other major U.S. cities. The Posse Virtual Program selects and trains Posse Scholars using innovative online platforms. vPosses create pathways to leadership for many more talented young people from geographically diverse areas around the country.
- The Innovator will assist in the continued development and implementation of the vPosse Program. This project will allow the Innovator to contribute at the ground level to a critical part of Posse’s future programming. In support of this project, the Innovator may work with the vPosse team as it works to expand its nominator network across the country and recruits talented young leaders into the Posse program.
Conceived in collaboration with Tony Award-winning actor, producer and director Lin-Manuel Miranda and the Miranda Family Fund, the Posse Arts initiative was established in the spring of 2021. The Posse Arts Program recruits, trains and supports cohorts of students interested in majoring in the creative arts. In addition to demonstrating exceptional leadership and academic potential, candidates for the program must also show artistic promise.
- The Innovator will join the team planning, organizing and hosting the first of its kind large scale Arts/Virtual Summer Retreat with over 100 Posse Scholars convening in one location for an innovative five-day teambuilding experience.
- Excellent writing, presentation and communication skills.
- Strong interest in building leadership and team building skills.
- Proficiency in computer technology and interest in web resource development.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Deep belief in Posse’s mission and values.