THE ASPEN INSTITUTE
The Aspen Institute is an international values-based organization that drives change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the greatest challenges of our time. The Youth Leadership Programs Department at The Aspen Institute identifies, cultivates, and amplifies the talent of rising generations. The department works with high school to college-aged youth to address the most complex and challenging social, political, and scientific issues facing communities today. The department is home to the Aspen Challenge, Aspen Young Leaders Fellowship, and Bezos Scholars Programs.
Coordinator, Youth Leadership ProgramsWASHINGTON, D.C.
Supervisor: Director, Aspen Young Leaders Fellowship; Senior Program Manager, Youth Leadership Program
The Innovator will gain exposure to The Aspen Institute, an international values-based nonprofit organization, and gain hands-on experience supporting the Aspen Institute’s Youth Leadership Programs (YLP). The Innovator will serve as a core member of the Youth Leadership Programs Department team working with them to deliver against the department’s mission. The Innovator will provide primary support to the Aspen Young Leaders Fellowship and Aspen Challenge programs. Rather than working on a single project, the goal is to provide the Innovator with exposure to the full range of programming and workstreams across Aspen’s Youth Leadership Programs Department.
The YLP team achieves their goals via an unwavering focus on equity, justice, and inclusion and a commitment to working with young people from communities that have been marginalized from opportunity. The programs focus on youth from low- to moderate-income backgrounds, youth of color, and youth with learning differences. The Innovator’s strengths and interests, both professionally and in preparation for law school, will be incorporated into their role. The Innovator will contribute to a broad range of projects in a dynamic environment. While some projects will have a direct connection to legal work (e.g. risk management, contracts, due diligence), the overall focus will be in gaining experience with a nonprofit organization focused on a multifaceted approach to achieving greater justice in communities through direct service. With prominent supporters such as the Bezos Family Foundation, the Walton Family Foundation, and founder and Henry Crown Fellow Scott Bush, this role provides valuable opportunities for learning, connection, and exposure.
During a year with the Youth Leadership Programs at The Aspen Institute, the Innovator will:
- Engage in project-based work resulting in a robust portfolio.
- Contribute to the design and development of projects and initiatives that support the leadership development of young people across the country.
- Contribute to the creation and adaptation of ethical and risk-conscious policies and protocols to guide the implementation of youth leadership programs.
- Conduct interviews with past participants to develop impact statements for use in grant reporting, blog posts, newsletter and social media features.
- Contribute to national events with exposure to important topics and national figures.
- Contribute to the management and implementation of local and national in-person and virtual gatherings offering resources and professional development for Fellows and community partners.
- Provide virtual and on-site support for major events with prominent speakers.
The Aspen Institute is seeking candidates who can work effectively with diverse teams and communities. A successful candidate will have an interest in learning about social justice focused direct service, educational systems, youth development, and community engagement. In addition, the ideal candidate would have experience in the following arenas:
- Strong cultural competence and experience working directly with constituents from diverse racial, ethnic, socio-economic, and geographic backgrounds.
- Strong computer skills, particularly Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud Suites, Google Workplace, contact databases (e.g. Salesforce), complex spreadsheets, and web-based research. Any website and social media management skills are a plus.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to support moving projects from concept to completion.
- Event planning experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including a desire to learn, sense of humor, and creativity.
- Strong customer service orientation: patience, listening, and resourcefulness.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Ability to work autonomously as well as collaboratively across teams.
- Willingness and ability to travel (potentially up to 1 trip per month) *pending national, local, and Aspen Institute COVID safety guidelines for staff travel.