EARTHWATCH INSTITUTEEnvironmental Conservation
Earthwatch engages people worldwide in scientific field research and education to promote the understanding and action necessary for a sustainable environment.
Job Title: Impact Manager
Supervisor: Director of Strategic Partnerships
The Impact Manager will help align the programs within Earthwatch’s Sustainable Cities initiative to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), Indicators, and Targets enabling Earthwatch to understand which SDGs most closely align and how to share outcomes with the relevant authorities.
Environmental justice is also critical to success in urban areas. The Impact Manager will document the impact of climate change on low-income and underrepresented populations in these cities with particular focus on flooding, air quality, and heat and evaluate Earthwatch programs for fair and meaningful involvement of these communities. In an assessment of current programs against the SDGs and environmental justice impacts, the Impact Manager will help create a roadmap that identifies areas for growth to lead to positive impacts in these communities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop a detailed understanding of the SDGs and environmental justice
- Coordinate the project by setting realistic deadlines and managing a timeline
- Conduct a review of programs under Earthwatch’s Sustainable Cities initiative
- Interview staff, partners, and participants of these programs
- Visit at least one program in person
- Map current program impacts to SDGs and environmental justice
- Identify gaps/opportunities for growth and create a roadmap to achieve these impacts
- Articulate with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Excellent research skills and ability to analyze complex concepts
- Excellent problem-solving skills; comfortable tackling problems head-on with flexibility and efficiency
- Positive and collaborative attitude
- Excellent social and interpersonal skills with ability to interact with diverse internal and external individuals
- The role requires creativity and flexibility in an often fast-paced environment