AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION (ACLU) OF TEXASPolicy & Leadership
The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas is the leading civil rights organization in the Lone Star State. Since our formation in 1938, we have worked in the courts, the legislature, and through public education to protect civil rights and individual liberty.
Job Title: Policy and Engagement Associate
Supervisor: Statewide Engagement Policy Manager
As part of the ACLU of Texas’ Policy and Field Engagement Departments, the Associate will:
- Assist in the development and execution of creative strategies that support strategic policy goals in targeted state and local jurisdictions, coordinating closely with the ACLU of Texas’ legal team and other program departments.
- Provide in-depth research and help draft policy, advocacy, and public education materials.
- Build and strengthen relationships and communications with local organizations and coalitions who share the ACLU’s values, including both traditional and new allies.
- Represent the ACLU of Texas at local coalition meetings, tabling opportunities, partner events, and public speaking engagements.
- Coordinate the internal response to local events connected to ACLU’s priority issue areas by connecting with expert staff across departments and integrating their input.
- Develop educational and action-oriented programming around priority issue areas to educate and mobilize volunteer activists and the broader public.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in coordinating multiple stakeholders to identify and work toward shared goals
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent communication (both written and oral) and relationship building skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to see a project through from start to finish with minimal supervision yet a great deal of input and collaboration with internal and external partners
- Willing and able to travel throughout Texas, including border communities
- Spanish fluency a plus but not required