Tara has extensive experience advising debtors, creditors, equity holders, investors, and other interested parties both in contentious and non-contentious insolvency and restructuring matters. Tara is also a skilled litigator, acting for insolvency professionals, trustees and creditors in relation to borrower default actions, real estate disputes, asset recovery and tracing, with a particular focus on urgent, targeted applications designed to further client objectives in a diverse range of circumstances.
Dually qualified in Hong Kong and New South Wales, Australia, Tara has over 10 years’ experience in the Asia-Pacific region. Prior to joining Weil, Tara worked at leading international law firms in Hong Kong and Singapore, and also practiced in Sydney, Australia. Tara previously clerked for the Honorable Justice L.G. Foster of the Federal Court of Australia.
Tara is recognized as a “Rising Star” in Hong Kong Restructuring and Insolvency in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2023 and the IFLR1000 Asia Pacific 2023. Legal 500 described Tara being “excellent both technically and in terms of dealing with clients and barristers.” Tara is currently a member of the board of International Women's Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC) in Hong Kong, and was previously a member of the board of IWIRC Singapore.
Tara’s recent representations include*:
- Advising the ad hoc group of bondholders in relation to the potential restructuring of more than US$6 billion of offshore bond debt issued by Shimao Group (one of the 5 largest restructurings among distressed Chinese property developers in terms of size of outstanding offshore bonds)
- Advising the ad hoc group of bondholders in relation to the restructuring of more than US$3 billion of offshore bond debt issued by China Aoyuan Group
- Advising Senior Secured Noteholders, and Receivers and Managers, in relation to security enforcement to recover outstanding debt in respect of HK$6.8 billion senior secured notes issued by a subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Goldin Financial Holdings Limited.
- Acting for a leading medical technology company in urgent proceedings to recover funds diverted to Hong Kong pursuant to a wire fraud.
- Advising a group of bondholders on the restructuring of foreign currency convertible bonds issued by Jaiprakash Power Ventures Limited.
- Acting for the Cayman Islands court appointed Joint Official Liquidators in relation to the winding up of LDK Solar Co. Limited.
- Advising a substantial shareholder in relation to the restructure of an ASX listed media operation.
- Drafting policy and legislation for a new insolvency regime for the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, under instruction of the Asian Development Bank.
- Advising a leading oil major in connection with the restructuring of a refinery and petrochemical project in Southeast Asia.
- Advising an international bank on the restructuring of its significant debt exposure to a leading integrated hard coking coal mining company operating in Indonesia.
- Advising a leading global resources company on its exposure arising out of coal supply agreements to Europe's largest steel plant by output capacity.
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Weil