Mr. Guy’s recent representations include:
- Trial defense of a multi-billion dollar fraudulent transfer suit arising out of a corporate spinoff;
- Representation of a bank in successfully opposing class certification in a case in which the plaintiffs sought $24 billion in damages on behalf of the supposed class;
- Representation of a Texas District Judge in litigation against the City of Dallas, including defense of appeals of pretrial rulings through the Supreme Court of Texas;
- Arbitration of a dispute between co-owners of a major professional sports franchise;
- Representation of a corporation in the successful defense of a Section 220 trial in the Delaware Court of Chancery, obtaining a judgment denying the shareholder’s demand for production of books and records, and successfully arguing for affirmance before the en banc Delaware Supreme Court;
- Representation of a U.S. company in an international arbitration in Geneva against the company’s Greece distributor, obtaining an award that the distribution agreement had been breached and denying the distributor’s 100 million euro claim in its entirety;
- A successful constitutional attack, on behalf of a consortium of paging companies, on a $750 million Texas statutory assessment, overturning the statute;
- A landmark appeal, argued before the Texas Supreme Court, establishing that Texas banks do not owe a duty of good faith and fair dealing in a commercial lending transaction;
- A successful appeal to and argument before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, overturning a trial court decision that invalidated a bank’s guaranties and imperiled the FDIC’s recovery on loans made by the failed bank.
Mr. Guy has received numerous awards in recognition of his expertise. Most recently, he was profiled as a “Lion of the Texas Bar” by The Texas Lawbook. He has been recognized as a recommended lawyer for Commercial Litigation nationally by Legal 500. He is on D Magazine’s list of The Best Lawyers in Dallas; since 2006 has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America for General Commercial Litigation, Banking & Finance Litigation, and Securities Litigation, and in its 2017 edition he was recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” for Securities; and is a Texas Monthly Super Lawyer. In 2007, the Dallas Business Journal and the Association of Corporate Counsel named Mr. Guy one of the “Defenders” – the top 15 business defense attorneys in Dallas-Fort Worth. He has also been recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a “Local Litigation Star” in Texas for General Commercial Litigation.
Mr. Guy is a member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Texas, the New York State Bar Association, and the Dallas Bar Association. He is the past author of “The Jury Charge in Texas Civil Litigation” and is a frequent lecturer at national and state trial practice continuing education programs. He also has taught Civil Procedure as a Visiting Lecturer at the University of Texas School of Law.
Mr. Guy served as a law clerk to the Honorable Thomas Gibbs Gee of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. He received his law degree, with highest honors, from the University of Texas, where he was Grand Chancellor (highest ranking graduate) and a member of the Order of the Coif.
Among other civic activities, Mr. Guy has served as a member of the Advisory Board of the Bridge transition assistance center and on the Board of Directors of ActBeyond, a Christian mission organization. He is a deacon and past chair of the Deacon Council at First Baptist Church of Richardson.