Sam has been part of the teams advising on the following:
- Tishman Speyer, as the developer, in multiple joint ventures with various investors in connection with several commercial projects (office and multifamily/retail) located in Washington, D.C.
- Brookfield, as the sponsor, in multiple joint ventures in certain of GGP Inc.’s existing trophy assets as well as investment in the GGP enterprise.
- Tishman Speyer in the formation of Breakthrough Properties, its global life sciences platform, with Bellco Capital.
- Madison International Realty, as the investor, in a joint venture with respect to the acquisition of two multifamily complexes located outside of Atlanta, GA.
Acquisitions and Dispositions and Real Estate M&A:
- MGM Resorts International (MGM) in the formation of a joint venture between MGM Growth Properties LLC (MGP) and Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust to acquire the Las Vegas real estate assets of the MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay for $4.6 billion and to lease back these assets to subsidiaries of MGM and in the related $3 billion CMBS financing to support the acquisition by the joint venture.
- MGM in its $4.25 billion sale of the Bellagio to a joint venture MGM formed with Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust and its lease back of the Bellagio to a subsidiary of MGM and in the related $3 billion CMBS financing to support the acquisition by the joint venture.
- AIG, as the investor in a joint venture, as the purchaser, with respect to the acquisition of an office portfolio located in Boston, MA.
- Brookfield Asset Management Inc. (BAM) and Brookfield Property Partners L.P. (BPY) (a publicly traded company owned, in part, by BAM) in BPY's $14.4 billion acquisition of the approximately 66% of common stock that it did not already own of GGP Inc.
- Blackstone, as the investor in a joint venture, with respect to the acquisition and ongoing development of residential developments located in Northern Virginia and West Virginia.
- Lehman Brothers, as the seller, in the sale of The Setai Miami Beach hotel and several associated condominiums, as well as trademarks related to The Setai brand.
Financings and Workouts:
- Brookfield Asset Management in an aggregate $808 million mortgage and junior and senior mezzanine, refinancing secured by the retail condominium portion of the Crown Building located at 730 Fifth Avenue, New York.
- Monday Properties, as the operating member in a joint venture with Goldman Sachs, in obtaining an $888 million refinancing, including multiple mortgage and mezzanine loans, for such venture’s portfolio of nine office buildings located in the Rosslyn submarket of greater Washington, D.C.
- Macquarie Capital (USA) Inc., as lender, in a $350 million bridge and mezzanine loan for the developers of American Dream Meadowlands.
- C-III Asset Management, as special servicer, in various settlements of defaulted mortgage loans, including loan modifications, deed-in-lieu agreements, note sales, foreclosures and short sales.
Sam has been named a “Rising Star” in Real Estate by Washington D.C. Super Lawyers.
In his pro bono practice, Sam has represented Brilla Charter Schools and Artists Space, Inc. as well as immigrant children in tandem with KIND (Kids In Need of Defense).