Robert Shmalo is counsel in Weil’s Real Estate practice and is based in New York. Robert has particular experience in the real estate, private equity and banking industries. He regularly represents financial institutions and real estate investors in lending and financing matters, joint ventures, acquisitions, hotel developments and commercial leasing transactions. Robert has negotiated real estate developments, sales and financings for properties located in many U.S. states, Canada and Mexico.
- Amherst Holdings, LLC, as a selling shareholder, in the pending $600 million sale of Amherst Pierpont Securities LLC
- Apollo Infrastructure in its acquisition of Lendlease (US) Telecom Holdings LLC (n/k/a Parallel Infrastructure)
- Atalaya Capital Management in a preferred equity investment in, and in a $250 million construction loan for, development of a 40-story Ritz-Carlton hotel with residences at 1185 Broadway in the NoMad (North of Madison Square Park) neighborhood of New York by Flag Luxury Group LLC
- Blackstone in its investment in Hotwire Communications
- Fortress Investment Group and The Baupost Group, as lenders, in a $235 million land loan to a major developer of commercial, residential, retail, hospitality, and mixed-use properties in Manhattan and other cities, to refinance development of a residential/retail project overlooking Central Park which will be the largest residential tower in the United States
- Froneri International Limited (a joint venture between Nestlé and PAI Partners) in its $4 billion acquisition of Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream Holdings, Inc.
- Intel Corporation in its $16.7 billion acquisition of Altera Corporation
- Madison International in its acquisition of a 40% interest in the MarketStreet Lynnfield from ND Market Street
- Marquee Raine Acquisition Corp., a SPAC sponsored by an affiliate of The Raine Group LLC and Marquee Sports Holdings SPAC I, LLC, in its pending $1.2 billion business combination with Enjoy Technology, Inc.
- Metaldyne Performance Group Inc. in its $3.3 billion sale to American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings, Inc.
- MGM Resorts International in its $1.175 billion sale of the real property of the Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa in Atlantic City, New Jersey to MGM Growth Properties LLC
- MGM Resorts International in its pending $1.625 billion acquisition of the operations of The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
- MGM Resorts International (MGM Resorts) in $3 billion CMBS financing to support the $4.6 billion acquisition by a joint venture between MGM Growth Properties LLC and Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust, of the Las Vegas real estate assets of the MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay
- The Moinian Group in its $52 million refinancing of an existing loan with respect to The Galleria, a full-service condominium building in Midtown East, Manhattan
- OMERS Private Equity in its acquisition of a controlling stake in Premise Health Holding Corp.
- Providence Equity Partners in its investment in Topgolf Entertainment Group
- RPC Group Plc in its acquisition of Letica Group
- The Board of Directors of Iron Mountain Incorporated in its up to $1.375 billion acquisition of the U.S. operations of IO Data Centers LLC
On a personal note, Robert was a national medalist, international competitor and named as an alternate to the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Games in the sport of Ice Dancing. He has served as a member of the Athlete Advisory Committee of U.S. Figure Skating and a Trustee of the U.S. Figure Skating Foundation.