Robert represents debtors, creditors, acquirers, and other participants in in- and out-of-court reorganizations.
Robert has guest lectured classes at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, University of Buffalo Law School, and New York Law School, publicly and privately spoken and published on topics such as Dodd-Frank financial legislation, and participated on INSOL panels. Robert co-chaired the April 2011 Turnaround Management Association’s Spring Conference, held in Chicago. He also appeared on a panel at the conference to discuss the role played by the FDIC in distressed situations. Additionally, Robert serves on the Leadership Committee of the Citizens Committee for New York City and has served on the boards of the Turnaround Management Association and the Harlem School of the Arts.
Most recently, Robert was named a “Rising Star” for Restructuring and Insolvency in the U.S. by IFLR1000 (2022). In 2020 he received the Best Lawyers Award. Robert was also recognized by Turnarounds and Workouts as an “Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyer,” named “Best Lawyer” for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law by Best Lawyers in America, and named a “Recommended” Lawyer for Restructuring by Legal 500 US.
- Skillsoft Corporation, and its affiliates, a global leader in corporate learning, in their prepackaged chapter 11 cases with liabilities in excess of $2 billion.
- Waypoint Leasing Holdings Ltd., a global helicopter leasing company, in its chapter 11 cases.
- Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC, and its affiliates, a globally recognized nuclear power company, in its unprecedented chapter 11 cases involving liabilities in excess of $9 billion.
- Lehman Brothers Holding Inc., and its affiliated debtors, the fourth largest investment bank in the world, in the largest chapter 11 cases in history to date, including a focus on resolving Lehman Brothers’ portfolio of derivatives contracts, cross‑border issues, and large-scale claims resolution.
- Advanta Corp., a business credit card lender, in its chapter 11 restructuring, including the successful negotiation of a settlement of tax issues with the FDIC that facilitated significant recoveries for Advanta’s unsecured creditors.
- International Aluminum Corporation, a manufacturer of diversified lines of quality aluminum and vinyl products, in its chapter 11 case, including the win of a valuation dispute during a contested confirmation hearing to successfully exit chapter 11 after only 4 months.
- Bethlehem Steel Corp., a supplier of various steel mill products, in its chapter 11 case.
- Representation of debtors in non-public restructurings.
Creditor/Acquiror/Secured & Unsecured Lender/Other Experience:
- Omega Healthcare Investors Inc, one of the largest real estate investment trusts focused on the long-term healthcare industry, in their capacity as landlord and DIP financing lender in connection with the bankruptcy proceeding of their longtime skilled nursing tenant Gulf Coast Healthcare, LLC.
- Noranda Aluminum Holding Corp., in connection with the representation of an ad hoc committees of lenders and bondholders in the chapter 11 cases of Noranda Aluminum.
- K-V Pharmaceutical, in connection with the representation of an ad hoc committees of lenders and bondholders in the chapter 11 cases of KV Pharmaceutical.
- Aveta Inc. (Innovacare Services Company LLC), in connection with the representation of the lender committees and bank agents in out-of-court restructurings of Aveta Inc.
- Valitas Capital Partners¸ in connection with the representation of the lender committees and bank agents in out-of-court restructurings of Valitas Capital Partners.
- Representation of lenders and bondholders in several non-public out-of-court restructurings.
- National Envelope, in connection with the representation of the successful asset acquirer in National Envelope’s chapter 11 case.
- Penton Media, in connection with the representation of the prepetition agent, General Electric Capital Corporation, in Penton Media’s restructuring.
- Delphi Corporation, in connection with the representation of General Motors, as the largest customer and creditor in the chapter 11 case of Delphi Corporation.
- Calpine Corporation, in connection with the representation of General Electric Capital Corporation, as creditor and successful asset acquirer, in the chapter 11 cases of Calpine Corporation.
- USG (represented equity committee);
- Dura Automotive Systems, in connection with the representation of the postpetition lender, in the chapter 11 case of Dura Automotive Systems.
- Solutia Inc., in connection with the representation of an ad hoc noteholder committee, in the chapter 11 cases of Solutia.
- Sea Containers, in connection with the representation of the joint venture partner, General Electric Capital Corporation, in the chapter 11 case of Sea Containers.
- National Steel Corporation, in connection with the representation of the postpetition lender, in the chapter 11 case of National Steel.
- DIRECTV Latin America, in connection with the representation of the parent and largest creditor, in the chapter 11 cases of DIRECTV Latin America.
- Friedman's Inc., in connection with the representation of the postpetition lender, in the chapter 11 case of Friedman’s Inc.
- Representation of some of the largest banks and financial institutions in preparing their resolution plans for submission to the Federal Reserve and FDIC pursuant to the Dodd‑Frank Act.