Robert is recognized by the International Association of Privacy Professionals as a Privacy Law Specialist, a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP-US) and a Certified Information Privacy Manager. He has spoken on the subject of data privacy as a panelist or featured speaker at numerous conferences and forums. Robert has extensive experience in drafting privacy notices, policies and business practices; assessing data privacy and cybersecurity risk; designing data privacy compliance programs; negotiating data privacy contract terms and data processing agreements; implementing “Privacy by Design;” responding to requests from data subjects and authorities; and preparing for and responding to data breaches. He has also advised on data privacy issues related to digital marketing, employee privacy, “bring your own device,” cross-border transfers, data classification and management and the use of location-tracking technology.
In addition to his counseling work, Robert has been part of the teams advising on the data privacy and cybersecurity aspects of the following matters:
- MSP Recovery, LLC in its $32.6 billion business combination with Lionheart Acquisition Corp. II, a SPAC sponsored by Lionheart Equities
- Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. in its $21 billion sale to Analog Devices, Inc.
- Churchill Capital Corp III, a SPAC sponsored by Churchill Capital Group, in its $5.7 billion merger with MultiPlan, Inc. that has an enterprise value based on the transaction of approximately $11 billion
- Gores Holdings V, Inc., a SPAC sponsored by The Gores Group, in its $8.5 billion business combination with Ardagh Metal Packaging S.A.
- Foley Trasimene Acquisition Corp., a SPAC sponsored by Bilcar FT, LP and Trasimene Capital FT, LP., in its $7.3 billion combination with Alight Solutions LLC
- Sanofi in its $3.7 billion acquisition of Principia Biopharma Inc.
- Cardtronics plc in its $2.5 billion sale to NCR Corporation
- Goldman Sachs and Eurazeo in their sale of a 49% stake in Trader Interactive, LLC, in a transaction that valued Trader at $1.6 billion
- Mudrick Capital Acquisition Corporation II, a SPAC sponsored by Mudrick Capital, in its pending $1.3 billion business combination with The Topps Company, Inc.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (OTPP) and TA Associates in the sale of a majority stake in Flexera Software LLC to Thoma Bravo, with OTPP and TA retaining minority stakes
- Goldman Sachs Merchant Banking Division in its acquisition of a significant stake in Zaxby's Operating Company L.P.
- OMERS Private Equity in its acquisition of TurnPoint Services
- Charlesbank Capital Partners and its portfolio company Bridges Consumer Healthcare LLC in Bridges’ acquisition of Clarion Brands, LLC
- QuickChek Corporation in its $645 million sale to Murphy USA
- Hologic, Inc. in its $159 million acquisition of Diagenode, Inc.
- Cornell Capital in its acquisition of INW Manufacturing LLC and the acquisition by INW Manufacturing LLC of Capstone Nutrition
- SiriusXM in its acquisitions of Simplecast and Stitcher
- Blackstone in its acquisition of a majority stake in ZO Skin Health, Inc. and its investment in Hotwire Communications
- Blackstone Growth in its investment in ISN Software Corporation, in a transaction that valued ISN over $2 billion
- Lee Equity Partners in its acquisition of a majority stake in Simplicity Group Holdings
- TPG Growth, as lead investor, in a $300 million Series C funding round for MX Technologies, Inc. and a $124 million Series B funding round for Prodigy Education
- Berkshire Partners in its acquisition of CrossFit, Inc.
- GHK Capital Partners in its acquisition of ITS Logistics, Inc.
- GI Partners in its acquisition of Vast Broadband
- Apax Partners, as lead investor, in a $100 million Series H funding round for Payfone, Inc. and a Series D funding round for Guesty, Inc.
- American Securities in its acquisition of LaserShip, Inc. and its pending $1.575 billion sale of Henry Company LLC
- Clearhaven Partners in its acquisition of Wowza Media Systems, LLC
- KSL Capital Partners in a minority investment in Honors Holdings, a franchisee of Orangetheory® Fitness
- Providence Strategic Growth Partners in its acquisitions of SchoolStatus LLC and a majority stake in Traliant, LLC; as lead investor in a Series B funding round for Sevenrooms Inc.; its strategic investment in Wagepoint Inc.; and its acquisition, together with Bluer Star Innovation Partners, of PatientNOW
- Brook & Whittle Limited (a portfolio company of Snow Phipps Group) in its acquisitions of Wizard Labels LLC and substantially all of the assets of Tri Print LLC and Innovative Labeling Solutions, Inc.
Prior to rejoining Weil, Robert served as data privacy counsel for a Fortune 500 energy company, where he built and managed the company’s global data privacy program and served as the companywide subject matter expert on data privacy. He also previously served as legal counsel for a Fortune 500 tech company, where he negotiated IT services agreements with enterprise customers representing various industries. Robert started his career as an associate in Weil’s Complex Commercial Litigation practice group.
In his pro bono practice, Robert helped pioneer the Weil Human Trafficking Initiative and successfully moved to vacate over 100 convictions on behalf of victims of human trafficking. He has also represented clients in various immigration and housing matters.
Robert received his J.D. from the University of Texas School of Law, where he served as an associate editor of Texas Law Review. He graduated with honors, Phi Beta Kappa, from The University of Texas with a B.A. in Plan II Honors and history.