Marisa is experienced in structuring and negotiating agreements related to the licensing, acquisition, development, sale, use and commercial exploitation of intellectual property and innovative technologies, along with complex outsourcing, professional service, manufacturing, co-marketing and supply arrangements, strategic alliances, joint ventures and settlements of worldwide IP disputes. Marisa has significant experience working with both financial and strategic clients, particularly those in the life sciences, digital health, fintech, adtech, hardware, software, internet, social and digital media, semiconductor and consumer product industries. Marisa is dedicated to providing Firm clients with strategic legal and business advice formulated to target complex IP, technology and commercial issues.
Marisa was named in 2019 by Chambers USA as the only “Associate to Watch” in IT & Outsourcing: Transactions in New York.
Marisa has extensive experience working on standalone technology and intellectual property matters for a variety of Firm clients, including Facebook, Sanofi, Eli Lilly and Company, Quest Diagnostics, Illumina, Inc., Micron Technology, Panasonic, Intel, Pirelli & C. S.p.A., Yahoo and Dignity Health. In addition, Marisa has been part of the teams advising on the technology and intellectual property aspects of the following publicly reportable matters:
- Aéropostale, Inc. in its acquisition of GoJane.com, Inc.
- American Securities in its $750 million leveraged buyout of HHI Holdings, LLC and its acquisition of Acuren
- Arca Continental, S. A. B. de C.V. in its acquisition of Wise Foods, Inc. from Palladium Equity Partners, LLC.
- Blackstone in its acquisition of a majority stake in ZO Skin Health, Inc.
- Blue Star Innovation Partners and Providence Strategic Growth Partners in their investment in Payrix Payments Technology, LLC.
- Boyd Corporation (at the time, a portfolio company of Genstar Capital) in its acquisition of Aavid Thermalloy.
- CCMP Capital Advisors in its acquisition of an interest in Ollie’s Bargain Outlet, Inc.
- CoStar Group, Inc. in its $450 million acquisition of STR, Inc.
- CSL Behring LLC in its up to $416 million acquisition of Calimmune, Inc.
- Earth Fare, Inc. (a portfolio company of Monitor Clipper Partners) in its sale to Oak Hill Capital Partners, with Monitor Clipper and Earth Fare management retaining equity interests.
- Eli Lilly and Company in its $1 billion acquisition of Prevail Therapeutics Inc. and its global licensing and research collaboration with, and equity investment in, Precision BioSciences, Inc.
- Ennis-Flint (a portfolio company of Brazos Private Equity Partners) in its sale to Olympus Partners.
- Facebook in its $16 billion acquisition of WhatsApp.
- Founders of Prism Medical Products, LLC in the sale of a 70% interest in Prism to Henry Schein, Inc.
- Genstar Capital in its acquisition of Power Products Holdings LLC; its sales of Boyd Corporation, ConvergeOne Holdings Corp. and Tecomet Inc.; and its $910 million sale of the Global Marine and Mobile business of Power Products Holdings LLC.
- General Electric Company in its $3.3 billion acquisition of Lufkin Industries Inc.
- GLOBALFOUNDRIES Inc. in its acquisition of IBM’s semiconductor technology business and in its up to $740 million sale of Avera Semiconductor LLC.
- Goldman Sachs Merchant Banking Division in its acquisition of Restaurant Technologies, Inc.
- Health Management Associates, Inc. in its $7.6 billion sale to Community Health Systems, Inc.
- Infinite Electronics, Inc. (f/k/a Infinite RF Holdings, Inc.) (a portfolio company of Genstar Capital) in its acquisitions of L-com, Inc. (L-com Global Connectivity) and Smiths Interconnect’s Microwave Telecoms business.
- InterHealth Nutraceuticals, Inc. (a portfolio company of Kainos Capital) in its up to $303 million sale to Lonza America, Inc.
- Irving Place Capital in its acquisition of Chromalox, Inc. and in its minority investment in rag & bone.
- Kainos Capital in its acquisition and subsequent sale of Trilliant Food and Nutrition, LLC.
- Kendra Scott Design, Inc. in its partnership agreement with Berkshire Partners, with Norwest Venture Partners continuing as a minority investor.
- Kettle Cuisine, LLC (a portfolio company of Kainos Capital) in its acquisition of Del Monaco Foods Inc.
- Koshidaka Holdings Co., Ltd. in the U.S. aspects of its acquisition of Curves and of Curves for Women II, L.C.
- Lee Equity Partners in its acquisition of Captive Resources, LLC.
- Lindsay Goldberg in its acquisition of Big Ass Solutions.
- Magellan Health, Inc. in its $2.2 billion merger with Centene Corporation.
- McGraw-Hill Companies in the divestiture of its education business.
- Merz North America, Inc. in its $600 million acquisition of Ulthera and its acquisition of On Light Sciences, Inc.
- Nemera US Holding (a portfolio company of Montagu Private Equity) in its acquisition of Insight Product Development, LLC.
- Providence Equity Partners in its acquisition of a majority stake in 365 Retail Markets, LLC; its $180 million acquisition of five corporate training businesses from Informa plc; its acquisition of Miller Heiman, Inc.; and the $635 million sale of Decision Resources, Inc.
- Providence Strategic Growth Partners in its acquisitions of AbacusNext and a majority stake in Traliant, LLC.
- PSP Investments as an investor in a Series B funding round for Repertoire Immune Medicines, Inc.
- Quest Diagnostics Inc. in its acquisition of the U.S. laboratory services business of Oxford Immunotec Global PLC and its acquisition of Blueprint Genetics.
- RealPage, Inc. in its acquisitions of Buildium LLC and Investor Management Services.
- Ruffalo Noel Levitz LLC (a portfolio company of Summit Partners) in its acquisition of Purple Briefcase, Inc.
- SoftBank Vision Fund in its $2.25 billion minority investment in GM Cruise Holdings LLC (Cruise), alongside a $1.1 billion investment in Cruise by GM; together with Toyota Motor Corporation and DENSO Corporation in a $1 billion investment in the Advanced Technologies Group of Uber Technologies Inc.; and its $500 million minority investment in Cambridge Mobile Telematics, Inc.
- Synopsys, Inc. in its acquisition of Protecode Incorporated.
- TCV in its investment in, and recapitalization of, OneSource Virtual, Inc.
- Thomas H. Lee Partners, L.P. in its $1.1 billion acquisition of CompuCom Systems, Inc. and its acquisition of a majority stake in Party City Holdings Inc.
- Tower Three Partners in its strategic sale of The Paslin Company.
- TPG Growth, as lead investor, in a $124 million Series B funding round for Prodigy Education.
- The Rise Fund of TPG Growth in its participation in a preferred stock financing round for CeriBell, Inc.
- TPG Tech Adjacencies, an affiliate of TPG Capital, in its acquisition of a minority stake in ABC Technologies B.V.
- Twilio Inc. in its acquisition of Authy, Inc.
- Velocity Technology Solutions, Inc. (a portfolio company of Silver Lake Sumeru) in its acquisition of Mercury Technology Group, Inc.
- Vonage Holdings Corp. in its acquisitions of iCore Networks, Inc., Simple Signal Inc. and Telesphere Networks Ltd.
- Yahoo in its acquisitions of Tumblr, Inc., BrightRoll, Inc., Summly Limited, Flurry, Inc., MSKYNET, ThumbsUp Labs, Tomfoolery, Xobni Corporation, Snip.it, UrbanQ, GhostBird Software Inc., AdMovate, Inc., Hitpost, Cooliris and PTCH; and the $4.5 billion sale of its operating business to Verizon Communications Inc.
Prior to her arrival at Weil, Marisa served as a law clerk for one year under the General Counsel of the Barnes Foundation in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She joined Weil as a summer associate in 2009 and worked as a legal secondee under the head of the IP Transactions Group at Yahoo! Inc. in 2014.
Marisa has provided pro bono legal services on behalf of numerous clients, including the Progeria Research Foundation, the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation and the Museum of Jewish Heritage. She has received several awards in recognition of her pro bono work, including the New York State Bar Association Empire State Counsel Award and the Weil Pro Bono Service Award.