Justin also has experience on Weil teams counseling employers on various matters, including with regard to confidential internal investigations relating to potential disparate impact liability stemming from changes in compensation structure, allegations of sexual harassment, and overtime liability caused by employee misclassification. He has also participated on teams advising in connection with sensitive executive terminations, the drafting of employment, consulting, restrictive covenant, retention, secondment, and separation agreements, as well as WARN Act and OWBPA compliance in relation to reductions-in-force. Justin also assists in performing labor and employment due diligence in the context of corporate transactions, as well as negotiating purchase agreements.
Justin has served on teams representing clients across various industries, including financial services, hospitality, insurance, retail, media and entertainment, manufacturing, technology, and transportation. Among his notable recent litigations, Justin was part of Weil teams successfully representing:
- global consulting firm, AlixPartners, in an international trade secrets misappropriation case against a former managing director;
- global insurance brokerage firm, JLT, and several senior executives in defense against allegations of violations of non-solicitation agreements associated with the departure of a large number of a competitor’s employees;
- manufacturing company, GrafTech, owned by Brookfield, in a series of disputes with three former executives regarding claims for substantial severance benefits under their change-in-control agreements;
- the estate of the former nuclear power services company, Westinghouse, in connection with WARN Act litigation arising out of the company’s shutdown of a power plant construction project;
- a global financial services company in a reduction-in-force involving over a dozen managing directors; and
- a global bank against allegations of gender discrimination and hostile work environment made by a partner and vice president.
In addition, Justin has a robust pro bono practice, representing numerous non-profits that provide support and services to domestic violence survivors and underprivileged students. He has represented and secured benefits for individual pro bono clients in social security disability benefit appeals before administrative law judges.
Justin has been recognized each year from 2017-2021 as a Rising Star by SuperLawyers.
Justin graduated from Cornell University in 2012, where he earned placement on the Dean’s list. He received his J.D. from Columbia Law School in 2015, where he was a two-time James Kent Scholar, Moot Court Judge, and served as the Notes and Case Notes Editor for the Columbia Journal of European Law. Justin was also awarded the Lawrence S. Greenbaum Prize for the Best Oral Presentation in the Final Arguments of the Harlan Fiske Stone Moot Court Competition. Prior to joining Weil, Justin was a summer intern to the Honorable Joseph F. Bianco in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, who has since risen to the Second Circuit. He also worked for the Queens District Attorney’s Office during his third year of law school, prosecuting domestic violence offenders.
Awards and Recognition, Latest Thinking, Firm News & Announcements
Awards and Recognition
- Justin DiGennaro Named a “Rising Star” Award Brief — SuperLawyers
- Employment Law Trends Assessment: 2023 Edition Alert — Employer Update — By Weil’s Employment Litigation Practice Group — PDF — March 2023
- Six State Bans on Discrimination Against Recreational Marijuana Users May Impact Employer Drug Testing Programs Publication — New York Law Journal — By Celine Chan and Justin M. DiGennaro — October 04, 2022
- Employment Law Trends Assessment: 2022 Edition Alert — Employer Update — By Weil’s Employment Litigation Practice Group — PDF — February 2022
- Employment Law Trends Assessment: Looking Back at 2020, and Ahead to 2021 Alert — Employer Update — By Weil’s Employment Litigation Practice Group — PDF — January 2021
Firm News & Announcements
- Weil Advised TPG in its Acquisition of Keter Environmental Services Inc. Deal Brief — November 02, 2021
- Weil Advised Blackstone in its Investment in InCloud, LLC Deal Brief — October 27, 2021