Jeff Malonson is a partner in Weil’s Private Equity practice and is based in Houston. Jeff advises infrastructure funds, private equity funds, portfolio companies, boards of directors and special committees in their most important strategic transactions, including: mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; capital markets; private capital solutions; SEC reporting, corporate governance and compliance; and restructurings and reorganizations.
Jeff’s crossover experience in multiple transactional disciplines, coupled with the product knowledge gained from more than 20 years structuring investments and customizing financings, provide a distinctive platform from which to effectively structure and execute a wide range of bespoke, market-leading private capital solutions across all industries and sectors.
Jeff’s practice consists of advising infrastructure funds, private equity funds and their portfolio companies in mergers, acquisitions and divestitures and structured investments and customized financings.
Additionally, Jeff represents infrastructure funds, private equity funds, portfolio companies and investment banks in IPOs (including private-equity backed SPACs), as well as other public offerings and private placements of equity securities (including structured PIPE offerings), debt securities, convertible securities and other hybrid securities.
Jeff regularly advises public company clients on compliance with periodic reporting, proxy solicitation, corporate governance and a variety of other SEC compliance matters.
Jeff has significant experience in the energy industry, including: oil and gas exploration and production; mineral and royalty interest; oil and gas gathering, processing and transportation; oilfield service; liquefied natural gas (LNG); oilfield equipment manufacturing; and chemical and refining companies.
Selected Mergers & Acquisitions Experience
- Allego Holding B.V. (n/k/a Allego N.V.) (a portfolio company of Meridiam Infrastructure Partners) in its $3.14 billion business combination with Spartan Acquisition Corp. III, a SPAC sponsored by Spartan Acquisition Sponsor III LLC (an affiliate of Apollo Global Management)
- Azure Midstream Energy in the $162.5 million contribution of its Legacy gathering system to Marlin Midstream partners and in its acquisition of the general partner of and 90% of the incentive distribution rights in Marlin Midstream Partners
- Blackstone Energy Partners, as 70% stakeholder in Vine Energy Inc., in Vine's $2.2 billion sale to Chesapeake Energy Corporation
- Brookfield Infrastructure Group in its $1.1 billion acquisition of 31 data centers spanning 10 countries
- Brookfield Principal Credit in its recapitalization of Cardone Industries, Inc.
- CAMAC International in the $750 million sale of its remaining interests in offshore oil and gas properties in Nigeria
- Concho Resources in its $1.65 billion acquisition of the oil and gas assets of Marbob Energy Corporation and affiliated entities
- ConocoPhillips in its $13.3 billion sale of Western Canada assets
- Copano Energy in its $500 million acquisition of ScissorTail Energy
- Energy Transfer Equity in its $900 million acquisition of the general partner of Regency Energy Partners and in its sale of its interest in the Midcontinent Express Pipeline to Regency Energy Partners
Enterprise Products Partners in its $13 billion merger with GulfTerra Energy Partners
- Linn Energy in its $2.05 billion acquisition of oil and gas properties from Dominion Resources
- NextDecade Corporation in its merger with Harmony Merger Corp., a SPAC, in a deal valued at $1.1 billion
- QR Energy in its $3 billion merger with Breitburn Energy Partners
- Targa Resources in its $2.35 billion acquisition of Dynegy's midstream business
- Transocean in its acquisition of Songa Offshore in a deal valued at $3.38 billion
- Ute Energy in its $861 million sale to Crescent Point Energy
Selected SPAC IPO Experience
- Atlantic Avenue Acquisition Corp., a SPAC sponsored by an affiliate of MC Credit Partners, in its $250 million initial public offering
- Fortistar Sustainable Solutions Corp., a SPAC sponsored by an affiliate of Fortistar LLC, in its $259 million initial public offering
- Ross Acquisition Corp II, a SPAC sponsored by Ross Holding Company LLC, in its $345 million initial public offering
- TPG Pace Beneficial II Corp., a SPAC sponsored by TPG Pace Group, in its $400 million initial public offering
- TPG Pace Solutions Corp., a SPAC sponsored by TPG Pace Group, in its $285 million initial public offering
Selected IPO Experience
- C&J Energy Services in its $335 million IPO of common stock
- Compressco Partners, L.P. in its $54 million IPO of common units
- Underwriters to Cone Midstream Partners LP in its $385 million IPO of common units
- Copano Energy LLC in its $120 million IPO of common units
- Frank's International NV in its $759 million IPO of common stock
- Underwriters to Linn Energy, LLC in its $260 million IPO of common units
- Underwriters to Memorial Production Partners LP in its $320 million IPO of common units
- Underwriters to Memorial Resource Development Corporation in its $935 million IPO of common stock
- New Source Energy Partners L.P. in its $80 million IPO of common units
- Underwrites to QEP Midstream Partners, LP in its $483 million IPO of common units
- QR Energy LP in its $345 million IPO of common units
- Underwriters to Reliant Resources Inc. in its $1.8 billion IPO of common stock
- Targa Resources Partners LP in its $360 million IPO of common units
Selected Chapter 11 and 363 Sale Experience
- Fieldwood Energy LLC in its $1 billion sale of all deepwater assets and certain shallow water and other assets to QuarterNorth Energy Holding, Inc., in connection with Fieldwood's chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings
- Kingfisher Midstream, LLC (a subsidiary of Alta Mesa Resources Inc.) in its 363 bankruptcy sale of midstream assets to BCE-Mach III LLC
- Gavilan Resources, LLC in its 363 bankruptcy sale of substantially all of its assets to Mesquite Energy, Inc. (f/k/a Sanchez Energy Corporation)
Selected PIPES Offerings
- Concho Resources Inc. in several private placements of common stock totaling over $550 million to institutional investors
- Copano Energy LLC in its private placement of $300 million Series A Convertible Preferred Unites to an affiliate of TPG Capital and in private placements of alternative classes of units totaling approximately $575 million
- Energy Transfer Equity L.P. in its private placement of $300 million Series A Convertible Preferred Units to an affiliate of G.E. Capital
- GPS Partners, as lead investor, in a $128 million private placement by Eagle Rock Energy Partners LP
- Linn Energy LLC in numerous private placements of alternative classes of units totaling over $2.5 billion to institutional investors
- NextDecade Corporation in its sale of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock and Warrants to a Korean company; in its sale of Series B Convertible Preferred Stock and Warrants to funds managed by BlackRock; and in the sale of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock and Warrants to funds manged by York, Valinor, and Halcyon
- QR Energy L.P. in its private placement of approximately $235 million of Class C Convertible Preferred Units to funds managed by Quantum Resources Management
Prior to joining Weil, Jeff was a partner at another international law firm.
Jeff is recognized as a leading lawyer for Corporate/M&A in Texas by Chambers USA 2021-2022, where clients note “he is a tremendously smart lawyer who is great at making sure deals are executed.“ He is also recognized as a “Highly Regarded” lawyer for M&A and Capital Markets in the U.S. by IFLR1000 2020-2022. Jeff was recommended for Energy Transactions: Oil and Gas by Legal 500 US 2020-2021.
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Weil.