Jeff specializes in mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, corporate governance, and advising boards of directors on a wide range of matters. He represents private equity-backed portfolio companies on merger and acquisition transactions and regularly counsels private equity firms pursuing strategic investments and divestitures in public and private companies and partnerships. Jeff represents private equity funds and management teams, public and private entities, and investment banking firms in initial public offerings, as well as other public offerings and private placements of equity (including structured PIPES offerings) and debt securities. He also advises public company clients on compliance with periodic reporting, proxy solicitation, corporate governance, and a variety of other SEC compliance matters.
Jeff's core practice focuses on the energy industry, including oil and gas exploration (exploitation) and production, oil and gas mineral and royalty interest, midstream, transportation, oilfield service, liquefied natural gas (LNG), oil field equipment manufacturing, and chemical and refining companies. Jeff has represented clients in more than twenty-five IPOs and closed over seventy-five mergers and acquisitions transactions, primarily involving private equity backed portfolio companies.
Selected Mergers & Acquisitions Experience
- Allego Holding B.V. (a portfolio company of Meridiam Infrastructure Partners) in its pending $3.14 billion business combination with Spartan Acquisition Corp. III, a SPAC sponsored by Spartan Acquisition Sponsor III LLC (an affiliate of Apollo Global Management)
- Azure Midstream Energy in the $162.5 million contribution of its Legacy gathering system to Marlin Midstream partners and in its acquisition of the general partner of and 90% of the incentive distribution rights in Marlin Midstream Partners
- Blackstone Energy Partners, as 70% stakeholder in Vine Energy Inc., in Vine's pending $2.2 billion sale to Chesapeake Energy Corporation
- Brookfield Infrastructure Group in its $1.1 billion acquisition of 31 data centers spanning 10 countries
- Brookfield Principal Credit in its recapitalization of Cardone Industries, Inc.
- CAMAC International in the $750 million sale of its remaining interests in offshore oil and gas properties in Nigeria
- Concho Resources in its $1.65 billion acquisition of the oil and gas assets of Marbob Energy Corporation and affiliated entities
- ConocoPhillips in its $13.3 billion sale of Western Canada assets
- Copano Energy in its $500 million acquisition of ScissorTail Energy
- Energy Transfer Equity in its $900 million acquisition of the general partner of Regency Energy Partners and in its sale of its interest in the Midcontinent Express Pipeline to Regency Energy Partners
Enterprise Products Partners in its $13 billion merger with GulfTerra Energy Partners
- Linn Energy in its $2.05 billion acquisition of oil and gas properties from Dominion Resources
- NextDecade Corporation in its merger with Harmony Merger Corp., a SPAC, in a deal valued at $1.1 billion
- QR Energy in its $3 billion merger with Breitburn Energy Partners
- Targa Resources in its $2.35 billion acquisition of Dynegy's midstream business
- Transocean in its acquisition of Songa Offshore in a deal valued at $3.38 billion
- Ute Energy in its $861 million sale to Crescent Point Energy
Selected IPO Experience
- C&J Energy Services in its $335 million IPO of common stock
- Compressco Partners, L.P. in its $54 million IPO of common units
- Underwriters to Cone Midstream Partners LP in its $385 million IPO of common units
- Copano Energy LLC in its $120 million IPO of common units
- Frank's International NV in its $759 million IPO of common stock
- Underwriters to Linn Energy, LLC in its $260 million IPO of common units
- Underwriters to Memorial Production Partners LP in its $320 million IPO of common units
- Underwriters to Memorial Resource Development Corporation in its $935 million IPO of common stock
- New Source Energy Partners L.P. in its $80 million IPO of common units
- Underwrites to QEP Midstream Partners, LP in its $483 million IPO of common units
- QR Energy LP in its $345 million IPO of common units
- Underwriters to Reliant Resources Inc. in its $1.8 billion IPO of common stock
- Targa Resources Partners LP in its $360 million IPO of common units
Selected PIPES Offerings
- Concho Resources Inc. in several private placements of common stock totaling over $550 million to institutional investors
- Copano Energy LLC in its private placement of $300 million Series A Convertible Preferred Unites to an affiliate of TPG Capital and in private placements of alternative classes of units totaling approximately $575 million
- Energy Transfer Equity L.P. in its private placement of $300 million Series A Convertible Preferred Units to an affiliate of G.E. Capital
- GPS Partners, as lead investor, in a $128 million private placement by Eagle Rock Energy Partners LP
- Linn Energy LLC in numerous private placements of alternative classes of units totaling over $2.5 billion to institutional investors
- NextDecade Corporation in its sale of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock and Warrants to a Korean company; in its sale of Series B Convertible Preferred Stock and Warrants to funds managed by BlackRock; and in the sale of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock and Warrants to funds manged by York, Valinor, and Halcyon
- QR Energy L.P. in its private placement of approximately $235 million of Class C Convertible Preferred Units to funds managed by Quantum Resources Management
Prior to joining Weil, Jeff was a partner at another international law firm.
Jeff is recognized as a leading lawyer for Corporate/M&A in Texas by Chambers USA 2021, where clients note “he is a tremendously smart lawyer who is great at making sure deals are executed.“ He is also recognized as a “Highly Regarded” lawyer for M&A and Capital Markets in the U.S. by IFLR1000 2020-2022 and is recommended for Energy Transactional: Oil and Gas by Legal 500 US 2020-2021.
*Includes matters handled prior to joining Weil.