David is qualified as both a lawyer and accountant and has advised on tax matters since 1998.
He advises multi-asset managers, private equity, infrastructure, real estate, debt and hedge fund sponsors and management teams on the domestic and international aspects of fund structuring, tax efficient incentivisation arrangements and tax issues associated with their investment programmes. He also advises a number of institutional investors on their investments with and into private funds as well as providing them with assistance in relation to their own account transactions and strategic advice on managing their tax profile.
David has significant experience in advising on financing and restructuring transactions, particularly in the context of financially troubled debtors; advising administrators, debtors, creditors, potential acquirers, and investors both within and outside formal insolvency processes. David also provides advice on UK tax issues arising in complex public and private cross border M&A transactions. David is recommended for fund restructuring and insolvency-related tax work by Legal 500 UK.
Representative experience includes advising on the tax aspects of:
- Paragon Offshore PLC in the tax aspects of its Chapter 11/restructuring;
- Westinghouse in the tax aspects of its Chapter 11/restructuring;
- Graphite Capital, BlackRock, Abraaj, Macquarie, Hastings, Arcus and Glennmont Partners on various structuring and fundraising matters;
- various matters affecting the Lehman estate post-bankruptcy;
- the administrators of MF Global;
- Apollo on the tax aspects of the Stemcor restructuring;
- PJT Partners on its spin-out from Blackstone;
- various sovereign and state backed investors, including significant pension funds, on tax and structural issues affecting their investment programmes; and
- GE Capital on a number of complex M&A transactions