Carolyn Stoner is counsel in Weil’s Real Estate practice and is based in New York. Carolyn participates in advising public and private companies, public benefit corporations, family offices, private equity firms and financial institutions in a range of complex real estate matters across all asset classes. She regularly advises on acquisitions and dispositions of real estate assets, including hospitality, commercial office buildings and multi-asset portfolios; joint ventures; developments; financing transactions, including senior mortgage, mezzanine and construction financing; and commercial leasing transactions. Her clients include institutional investors, sovereign wealth funds, lenders, borrowers, buyers, sellers, landlords, tenants and developers.
Prior to joining Weil, Carolyn was a Real Estate associate at another international law firm.
Notable experience since joining Weil includes:
- Aspen Aerogels, Inc. in a $100 million senior secured term facility for Aspen Aerogels Georgia, LLC
- ATCO Properties, as borrower, in $83 million mortgage loan refinancing of 40 Central Park South, a residential and retail building located in New York, NY
- Brookfield Business Partners in its $8 billion sale of Westinghouse Electric Company
- MSD Partners, as lender, in a $285 million mortgage loan to CGI Merchant Group, as part of CGI Merchant's $375 million acquisition of the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C.
- The Kroger Company in its pending $24.6 billion merger with Albertsons Companies, Inc.
- The Kroger Company, along with The Albertsons Companies, Inc., in the approximately $1.9 billion sale of 413 stores, as well as select banners, distribution centers, offices and private label brands, to C&S Wholesale Grocers, LLC in connection with Kroger’s proposed merger with Albertsons Companies Inc.
Carolyn’s experience prior to joining Weil includes:
- Han's Holdings Group Co. Ltd. in connection with its $92 million acquisition of the San Jose Hilton and $115 million acquisition of the Los Angeles Hilton
- The Metropolitan Transportation Authority in the redevelopment of New York’s Penn Station
- MSD Partners, L.P. in various transactions, including a $130 million mortgage loan
- SL Green Realty Corp. in its $1.5 billion construction financing of One Vanderbilt Avenue in New York City from a lending group led by Wells Fargo and including Bank of New York Mellon, JPMorgan Chase Bank, TD Bank and Bank of China
- Starwood Energy Group Global. LLC in its acquisition of a 252 MW portfolio of operating renewable assets in California and Texas from Consolidated Edison Development Inc.
- The We Company in various transactions, including the $850 million acquisition of Lord Taylor's former New York City flagship building at 424 Fifth Avenue from Lord & Taylor's parent company Hudson's Bay Company
- Numerous other clients, including Brookfield Properties, MSD Partners, Safehold, Formation Capital and WeWork, in various acquisitions, dispositions, financings, joint ventures, leases and restructurings
Carolyn received her J.D. from New York University School of Law, where she served as a Notes Editor of the New York University Law Review, and her B.A. from Duke University.