Prior to joining Weil, Mr. Podzius served as law clerk to the Honorable Kevin R. Huennekens of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Mr. Podzius received his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law where he was a Senior Editor of the Virginia Tax Review. He received his undergraduate degree in Political Science from Cal Poly — San Luis Obispo.
Mr. Podzius has played a role on a number of teams advising:Debtor/Company-Side Experience:
- Skillsoft Corporation and its affiliated debtors, a global leader in corporate learning, in their prepackaged chapter 11 cases with liabilities in excess of $2 billion.
- Waypoint Holdings Ltd., a global helicopter leasing company, in its chapter 11 cases.
- Sears Holdings Corporation and its affiliated debtors, one of the largest retailers in the world and its chapter 11 cases represent one of the largest retail chapter 11 cases in history. At the time of commencing these cases, Sears had more than 68,000 employees and approximately $6 billion in debt.
- Takata Corporation, a Japan-based automotive parts supplier subject to massive mass tort liabilities and other creditor claims, in its global restructuring, including the chapter 11 cases of its U.S. and Mexican entities and the ultimate $1.6 billion sale to Key Safety Systems.
- J.Crew Group, Inc., one of the nation’s premier clothing retailers with approximately $2 billion in funded debt, in its restructuring efforts. This restructuring resulted in approximately 80% of the common stock to be held by the existing equity sponsor while conducting an out-of-court exchange for more than the $500 million of holding company debt. Creditor/Acquiror/Other Experience:
- Talen Energy Marketing, LLC and Talen Energy Supply, LLC as second lien lenders in the chapter 11 cases of NorthEast Gas Generation, an owner and operator of electricity generation plants.
- ICBC Standard Bank, prepetition intermediation facility provider to Philadelphia Energy Solutions (PES) Holdings, LLC, in the PES chapter 11 cases.
- Secured lenders in the chapter 11 cases of Bumble Bee Parent, Inc. and its affiliated debtors, a major North American packaged foods company.