- Weil represents American in the airline cargo and passenger fuel surcharge price fixing investigations that have been brought in many jurisdictions around the world, including the European Union and the United States, as well as a related class action in the United States. American succeeded in having all charges against it dropped in the investigations, and favorably settled the class action.
- Weil secured the dismissal of a shareholder derivative action brought in Texas state court (Tarrant County) alleging breaches of fiduciary duty by the AMR board in connection with American’s alleged pattern of failing to comply with FAA safety requirements.
- Weil served as co-counsel in two major antitrust litigations brought by AA in Texas state and federal courts in which AA asserted that Sabre and Travelport had conspired to monopolize the market for distribution of airline tickets.
- Weil has successfully represented American in a number of disputes relating to the Company’s operations at Miami International Airport (MIA), including defending AA in a series of litigations among Miami-Dade County, AA, and various contractors relating to the major construction project at MIA’s North Terminal.
- Weil represented American in litigation brought against Northwest for misappropriation of American’s yield management program, and ultimately settled on the eve of trial.
- Weil successfully defended American’s $350 million purchase of TWA’s London Heathrow routes, first in extensive proceedings before the Department of Justice and the Department of Transportation, and then in the 8th Circuit.
Weil obtained a complete defense victory for American against a prolific litigant in one of the largest patent multi-district litigations in U.S. history against allegations of infringement of more than 50 patents involving interactive call processing technology.
Weil also represented the outside directors of General Motors General Motors in numerous shareholder derivative actions in various federal and state courts, including matters involving restatement of financial statements. We have prevailed on motions to dismiss in all three cases.
Weil also represented Thermo King in an arbitration proceeding adverse to Bombardier regarding responsibility for defects in HVAC equipment in passenger rail cars.