March 27, 2019
Weil has been named as a finalist for eight awards at the 2019 International Financial Law Review Americas Awards. The shortlists highlight the expertise and achievements of Weil’s Private Equity practice and Business Finance & Restructuring Department.
Weil is shortlisted in the following categories:
- Private Equity Law Firm of the Year
- Restructuring Law Firm of the Year
- Private Equity Deal of the Year for advising Brookfield Asset Management Inc. and Brookfield Property Partners L.P. (BPY) in BPY's $14.4 billion acquisition of the approximately 66% of common stock that it did not already own of GGP Inc. (f/k/a General Growth Properties Inc.)
- Private Equity Deal of the Year for advising Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in a consortium that also included Blackstone and GIC, in the consortium’s acquisition of a 55% stake in Thomson Reuters’ Financial & Risk business (n/k/a Refinitiv), valued by the transaction at $20 billion.
- Private Equity Deal of the Year for advising Westinghouse Electric Company in its $4.6 billion sale to Brookfield Business Partners L.P.
- Restructuring of the Year for advising Westinghouse Electric Company in its $9.8 billion chapter 11 restructuring.
- Restructuring of the Year for advising Fieldwood Energy in its chapter 11 restructuring.
- Restructuring of the Year for advising Essar Steel Algoma, Inc. and certain of its affiliates, in connection with the restructuring and refinancing of their $1.2 billion capital structure.
The 2019 IFLR Americas Awards celebrate the most innovative deals of 2018 and the legal teams involved. IFLR is a leading financial law publication for lawyers in financial institutions, corporates and private practice.