April 22, 2014
With a presence in approximately 40 countries and 2013 revenue of approximately $1.1 billion, Novartis Animal Health is focused on developing better ways to prevent and treat diseases in pets, farm animals and farmed fish. Lilly will acquire Novartis Animal Health's nine manufacturing sites, six dedicated research and development facilities, a global commercial infrastructure with a portfolio of approximately 600 products, a robust pipeline with more than 40 projects in development, and an experienced team of more than 3,000 employees.
The Weil team on this transaction included M&A partners Raymond Gietz and Matthew Gilroy, and associates Megan Pendleton, Joshua Nemser and Kaitlin Descovich (not yet admitted to practice); IP partners Charan Sandhu and Elizabeth Weiswasser, and associates Adrienne Baker, Rachel Vigneaux and Claire Comfort; Tax partner Helyn Goldstein and associate Mark Dundon; Benefits partner Amy Rubin and associate Daniel Birnhak; and Real Estate partner Samuel Zylberberg and associates Melissa Meyrowitz and Mallory Owen (not yet admitted to practice). All are based in New York except Tax associate Mark Dundon, who is based in the Firm’s Dallas office.
This news was reported in the following outlets (may require registration/subscription):
- The Deal: Novartis reshapes itself through GSK, Eli Lilly deals (April 22, 2014)
- The Wall Street Journal: Lilly to Pay $5.4 Billion for Novartis Animal-Health Unit (April 22, 2014)
- Reuters: Eli Lilly to buy Novartis' animal health unit for $5.4 bln (April 22, 2014)
- The Am Law Daily: M&A Lawyers Line Up for Major Pharma Deals (April 22, 2014)
- Law360: Novartis Unveils $30B In Deals To Drive Strategic Overhaul (April 22, 2014)
- Legal Week: Freshfields and Slaughters lead on Novartis and GSK joint venture (April 22, 2014)
- Legal Business: Slaughters, Freshfields and Linklaters lead on Glaxo/Novartis multibillion-dollar joint venture (April 22, 2014)
- New York Law Journal: Six Firms Advise on $20 Billion Deals Reshaping Novartis, GlaxoSmithKline (April 24, 2014)
- Law360: Law360's Weekly Verdict: Legal Lions & Lambs (April 25, 2014)