January 22, 2013
“Having a high-quality, global, executive compensation and employee benefits practice is critical to serving our clients, and we are delighted that Paul will lead this very important practice group at Weil,” said Weil Executive Partner Barry M. Wolf. “Paul brings an important mix of M&A, private equity and bankruptcy experience, and a well-earned reputation as a top transactions counseling lawyer that will further enhance our global M&A and private equity transactions capabilities.”
Mr. Wessel has 25 years of experience handling executive compensation and employee benefits matters for corporations and private equity firms in all types of transactions. He has extensive experience in advising public companies and their boards of directors on compensation matters and he also regularly counsels clients on the compensation and benefits aspects of bankruptcy and restructuring matters. Mr. Wessel joins Weil from Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP, where he was head of the Executive Compensation and Employee Benefits Group.
Michael J. Aiello, Chairman of Weil’s Corporate Department, said, “Paul has the depth of knowledge and collegial attitude that makes him a perfect fit for this Firm. Weil has a significant M&A and private equity practice, and I know Paul is going to be a significant addition to our team.”
Mr. Wessel is ranked as a leading employee benefits lawyer in Chambers USA and other legal surveys. He is a cum laude graduate of Buffalo Law School, where he served as Editor-in-Chief of the Buffalo Law Review, and a graduate of Cornell University.
This news also appeared in the following outlets (may require registration/subscription):
- Crain’s New York Business: New Hire: Paul Wessel (January 22, 2013)
- Bloomberg / Bloomberg Businessweek: Baker McKenzie, Patton Boggs, Jones Day: Business of Law (January 24, 2013)
- The Deal: Movers & shakers: Jan. 24, 2013 (January 24, 2013)
- Law360: Weil Gotshal Nabs Milbank Executive Comp Vet To Lead Group (January 25, 2013)
- The Am Law Daily: In Rare Departure, Milbank Partner Leaves Firm to Rejoin Ex-Dewey Colleagues at Weil (February 1, 2013)
- Connecticut Law Tribune: In Rare Departure, Milbank Partner Leaves Firm to Rejoin Ex-Dewey Colleagues at Weil (February 1, 2013)
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel: Weil Grows Its New York Office; Wins Appellate Victory For Client (February 14, 2013)
- The National Law Journal: Movers – Laterals (February 18, 2013)