April 10, 2012
“Garland is an excellent trial lawyer. His skills, experience, and client base really complement the Firm’s existing platform,” says Executive Partner Barry M. Wolf. “We are pleased to welcome him back into the partnership.”
Mr. Stephens represents clients across the electronics and computer industries. He joins Weil from Fish & Richardson, where he was managing principal in the Houston office. Prior to his term at Fish & Richardson, Mr. Stephens was a partner at Weil from 2002 to 2008.
"I am excited to be back at Weil, and I look forward to working with my colleagues to build on the firm's substantial patent litigation capabilities," says Mr. Stephens.
Part of Weil’s celebrated, 400-lawyer Litigation Department, the Patent Litigation group has approximately 60 lawyers based in five offices nationwide, including the Houston office. The group has earned extensive recognition from its clients, peers and the press as a best-of-breed practice and is called upon by clients for assistance with high-stakes patent disputes.
Opened in 1985, the firm’s Houston office is a trusted advisor for clients needing legal help with their most critical matters in three areas: Intellectual Property & Media and Patent Litigation; Complex Commercial Litigation; and Business Finance & Restructuring. Weil’s patent litigators from Houston and other firm offices have achieved numerous successes, drawing on the attorneys’ great technical expertise, outstanding legal skills, and significant experience litigating in the most prominent patent litigation venues, including the Eastern District of Texas. Their successes include securing one of the largest jury awards ever handed down in a U.S. patent infringement trial.
This news also appeared in the following publications (may require registration/subscription):
- Law360: Weil Takes Back IP Litigator from Fish & Richardson (April 10, 2012)
- The Texas Lawbook: Houston IP Lawyer Garland Stephens Goes Home to Weil Gotshal (April 10, 2012)
- Bloomberg, BloombergBusinessweek: Kelley Drye, SNR Denton, Shearman, Kirkland: Business of Law; Garland Stephens Returns to Houston Office of Weil Gotshal (April 11, 2012)
- Managing Intellectual Property: Patent Litigator Returns to Weil (April 11, 2012)
- Thomson Reuters: Career Tracker-Lawyers on the Move (April 12, 2012)
- Metropolitan Corporate Counsel: Top Litigator Rejoins Weil's Patent Litigation Practice in Houston (April 13, 2012)
- The Deal: Movers & Shakers (April 16, 2012)
- Texas Lawyer: Newsmakers (April 16, 2012)
- AmLaw Daily: The Churn: Lateral Moves and Promotions in the Am Law 200 (April 20, 2012)
- Houston Chronicle: People in Business (April 22, 2012)
- The Lawyer: Moves (April 23, 2012)
- National Law Journal: Movers (April 30, 2012)