- Of the LGBTQ+ attorneys at the Firm, 6 are partners, 3 are counsel, and 33 are associates in the U.S. and London offices.
- Inspired by Out Leadership, the PLUS (+) in LGBTQ+ ensures that we will always be inclusive of all identities, making our community feel welcomed and helping to ensure that nobody is left out.
- Weil was named among the “Best Places to Work” for LGBTQ+ individuals by the Human Rights Campaign’s 2019 Corporate Equality Index.
- Each affinity group has an appointed senior leader sponsor, who is not a member of that demographic group. The sponsors are charged with understanding key issues the group members face and advocating for necessary change. Co-Chair of the global Litigation Department, Jonathan Polkes, is the Management Committee Sponsor for WeilPride.
Programs and Policies
Weil is unique among law firms for holding Firmwide individual affinity group conferences for career development, client and law student networking, and strategic planning. The most recent WeilPride conference was held in September 2018 in Washington, DC. Highlights include:
- Alumni Panel and Discussion
- Non-profit lunch discussion with Sasha Buchert of Lambda Legal and Robin Maril of the Human Rights Campaign.
- A WeilPride Reception with local law students on the rooftop terrace of Weil's DC office building.
- Community engagement project with Whitman-Walker Health, a non-profit community health center with special expertise in LGBTQ+ healthcare.
Client & Alumni Development
Weil’s European offices participated in a program on LGBTQ+ rights in Europe, the London office’s LGBTQ+-related pro bono work (including with the Human Dignity Trust’s efforts to decriminalize homosexuality in Malawi), and broader plans to support LGBTQ+ issues across Europe.
During Diversity Month 2017, the London office hosted a talk with Micro Rainbow International about ending homelessness of LGBTI refugees.
In honor of Pride Month 2018, Weil welcomed Ellie Krug, attorney, activist, and author of Getting to Ellen: A Memoir about Love, Honesty and Gender Change to speak at the Firm.
In June 2016, Weil hosted a Pride Month Lunch Panel Presentation: “OutWomen at the Forefront” moderated by Stephanie Sandberg, Managing Director at Out Leadership, featuring an out woman partner and associate from Weil.
Weil hosted or participated in over 60 targeted diversity recruiting events. The U.S. 2018 summer class was 34 percent law students of color, with seven self-identifying as LGBTQ+.
Weil has granted 49 Diversity Fellowships of $10,000 each in scholarship awards to first and second-year law students since 2011.
Community & Pro Bono
Our work with MRI resulted in the Weil team being awarded the Thomson Reuters TrustLaw Innovation Award 2017 and Legal Business Awards - Best CSR Programme 2018.