- Of the LGBT+ attorneys at the Firm, 6 are partners, 2 are counsel, and 32 are associates in the U.S. and London offices.
- Inspired by Out Leadership, the PLUS (+) in LGBT+ ensures that we will always be inclusive of all identities to make our community feel welcomed and that nobody is left out.
- Weil was named among the “Best Places to Work” for LGBT individuals by the Human Rights Campaign’s 2017 Corporate Equality Index.
- Each affinity group has an appointed senior leader sponsor, who is not a member of that demographic group. The sponsors are charged with understanding key issues the group members face and advocating for necessary change. Co-Chair of the global Litigation Department, Jonathan Polkes, is the Management Committee Sponsor for WEGALA.
Programs and Policies
Weil is unique among law firms for holding Firmwide individual affinity group conferences for career development, client and law student networking, and strategic planning. The most recent WEGALA conference’s highlights include:
- Alumni Panel and Discussion with Erick Flores of NBC Universal, Erin Law of Morgan Stanley, and Timothy Soldani of Citi Bank
- Lunch speaker discussion with Richard Saenz, Staff Attorney and Criminal Justice and Police Misconduct Program Specialist at Lambda Legal
- Strategic planning with Weil’s Executive Partner and Management Committee Sponsor for the LGBT+ affinity group
- The conference was hosted at the Michael Kors Building at Love We Deliver and featured an onsite community service project and dinner.
The next conference is planned for 2018.
Client & Alumni Development
Weil’s European offices participated in a program on LGBT+ rights in Europe, the London office’s LGBT+-related pro bono work (including with the Human Dignity Trust’s efforts to decriminalize homosexuality in Malawi), and broader plans to support LGBT+ issues across Europe.
During Diversity Month 2017, the London office hosted a talk with Micro Rainbow International about ending homelessness of LGBTI refugees.