- Of the Firm’s black attorneys, there are 6 partners and 31 associates in the U.S. and London offices.
- Each affinity group has an appointed senior leader sponsor, who is not a member of that demographic group. The sponsors are charged with understanding key issues the group members face and advocating for necessary change. David Lender, Co-Chair of the Firm’s Litigation Department, is the Management Committee Sponsor for the Black Attorney Affinity Group.
The January 2017 Multicultural Attorney Conference brought together Asian, Black, and Latino attorneys from across the U.S. and London offices for career development, networking, and strategic planning. Conference Highlights include:
- “Future of Civil Rights Panel” with speakers from the Asian American Legal Defense & Education Fund, LatinoJustice, and Muslim Advocates
- Courageous Conversations about Race panel exploring PwC’s Color Brave efforts
- Gender breakout sessions featuring Calvin Gladney and Tiffany Dufu
- Lunch discussion with Executive Partner and Affinity Group Management Committee Sponsors
- Student of Color 1L Recruiting & Diversity Reception and Client Panel
- Talking Boldly About Race Workshop facilitated by Vernā Myers
Weil is unique among law firms for holding Firmwide individual affinity group conferences. BAAG hosted their fourth biennial conference in New York City in June 2015. Members from the U.S. and London offices participated in:
- “One Size Never Fits All: Building a Professional Network & Developing Business in a Way That Fits You” presentation facilitated by Dr. Arin Reeves, President of Nextions
- A client networking reception featuring Michele Roberts, Executive Director of The National Basketball Players Association
- “Building Brand and Creating Preference” and “Business Development Recruitment, Retention & Advancement” Leadership Academy Workshops facilitated by Werten Bellamy, President of Stakeholders, Inc.
- A panel on public service and external leadership featuring Brennan Marcano, former Executive Director, Council of Urban Professionals and Nicolaine Lazarre, SVP & General Counsel, National Urban League
- BAAG hosted its fifth biennial conference in July 2018. The 2018 conference was held in New York and included a strategic planning session as well as interactive panels focused on professional development for attorneys at all levels. BAAG hosted a client and alumni networking event to kick off the 2018 conference.
In November 2016, Weil hosted a U.S.-wide panel, “Racial Justice in America: Diverse Perspectives on the Current Crisis,” featuring William Bratton, Former New York City Police Commissioner and Former Chief of the Los Angeles Police Department, Kristen Clarke, President and Executive Director of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, and Don Cravins Jr., Senior Vice President for Policy and Executive Director of the Washington Bureau of the National Urban League.
Weil’s biennial Diversity Month took place in November 2017, with events held across Weil’s U.S. and international offices on the topic of “Diversity of Thought.”
- Conversation on Leadership, Mentorship and Diversity of Thought in Higher Education with Michael Sorrell, President of Paul Quinn College
- Diversity recruiting event and cocktail reception featuring Marc Morial, President and CEO of the National Urban League
Client & Alumni Development
Weil has granted 45 Diversity Fellowships of $10,000 each in scholarship awards to first and second-year law students since 2011.
The Firm sponsors and actively participates in internship opportunities such as the Dallas Judicial Intern Opportunity Program, the Sponsors for Educational Opportunity Program (SEO) and Summer Search. Weil's New York Office has provided nearly 100 summer internships to high school and college students from community based organizations since 2013.