- Of the Firm’s Latino attorneys there are 8 partners, 1 counsel, and 25 associates. Three Firm Leaders are Latinos@Weil members; two practice groups and two offices are lead by Latinos@Weil members.
- Management Committee Sponsors demonstrate the level of our leadership commitment. These appointed senior leaders serve as a sponsor to an affinity group for which they are not already a member. They are charged with understanding key issues the group members face and advocating for necessary change. Frederick Green, a partner in the Corporate Department, is the Management Committee Sponsor for Latinos@Weil.
The January 2017 Multicultural Attorney Conference brought together Asian, Black, and Latino attorneys from across the U.S. and London offices for career development, networking, and strategic planning. Conference Highlights include:
- “Future of Civil Rights Panel” with speakers from the Asian American Legal Defense & Education Fund, LatinoJustice, and Muslim Advocates
- Courageous Conversations about Race panel exploring PwC’s Color Brave efforts
- Gender breakout sessions featuring Calvin Gladney and Tiffany Dufu
- Lunch discussion with Executive Partner and Affinity Group Management Committee Sponsors
- Student of Color 1L Recruiting & Diversity Reception and Client Panel
Talking Boldly About Race Workshop facilitated by Vernā Myers
Weil holds individual affinity group conferences to bring together members from across the Firm for professional development and pipeline efforts. Latinos@Weil held their most recent biennial conference in November 2014. Latinos@Weil members participated in:
- Decorating Thanksgiving bags as part of a community service and team building activity benefitting clients served by God’s Love We Deliver
- “Engaging the U.S. Latino-Hispanic Market” presentation featuring Alfredo R. Pérez, partner, and Marcos A. Rodriguez, Managing Member of Palladium Equity Partners
- “Latinos in the Law: Panel on Practicing In-House” panel featuring Weil alumni, Alejandra Almonte of gategroup Airline Solutions, José Ramón González of QBE North America, and Suzette Recinos of Daymon Worldwide, Inc.
- Client & alumni networking reception featuring Honorable Vernon S. Broderick, U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of New York
- “Communicate with Confidence: From Client Meetings to Networking Interactions” and “Persuade and Impress: From Client Meetings to Networking Interactions” workshops facilitated by Denise Paglia Cole of Own the Room
- “Latinos Who Lead” panel discussion featuring Lisa Cuevas, Chief Talent Officer, and partner Chris Garcia
Client & Alumni Development
Weil requires all attorneys and administrative staff across the U.S. to complete a two hour Annual Mandatory Diversity Training modeled on the ethics CLE requirement. The 2017 program was focused on “Talking Boldly About Race: Being an Upstander in a Time of Cultural Unrest” in the workplace led by Vernā Myers.
Weil’s biennial Diversity Month took place in November 2017, with events held across Weil’s U.S. and international offices on the topic of “Diversity of Thought.”
- Conversation on Leadership, Mentorship and Diversity of Thought in Higher Education with Michael Sorrell, President of Paul Quinn College
- Diversity recruiting event and cocktail reception featuring Marc Morial, President and CEO of the National Urban League
Weil has granted 45 Diversity Fellowships of $10,000 each in scholarship awards to first and second-year law students since 2011.
The Firm sponsors and actively participates in internship opportunities such as the Dallas Judicial Intern Opportunity Program, the Sponsors for Educational Opportunity Program (SEO) and Summer Search. Weil's New York Office has provided nearly 100 summer internships to high school and college students from community based organizations since 2013.