Tim Gardner is a partner in the Firm’s Corporate department. Mr. Gardner has a diverse practice that includes advising clients on a wide array of cross-border and multi-jurisdictional private equity and M&A transactions in the Asia-Pacific region. He has extensive experience in private and public acquisitions, leveraged and management buyouts, going private transactions, recapitalizations, financings, minority investments and divestitures.
Mr. Gardner’s representative clients include Baring Private Equity Asia, The Carlyle Group, Darby Private Equity, FIL Ltd., FountainVest Partners, Khazanah Nasional Berhad, MBK Partners and Primavera Capital Group.
Recent Representations include:
- FountainVest Partners on the cross-border leveraged buyout of U.S.-based Key Safety Systems, Inc., the fourth largest supplier of passive safety systems to the auto industry (the transaction is FountainVest’s first acquisition outside of Asia)
- Primavera Capital, FountainVest Partners and The Carlyle Group on the proposed US$1.9 billion privatization of Shanda Games Limited, a leading online game developer, operator and publisher in China
- PPTV, the sole remaining independent online video business in China, and its shareholders on the US$420 million sale of PPTV to Suning, a domestically listed Chinese conglomerate, and Hony Capital
- The Co-Chairmen of 7 Days Group Holdings, a leading budget hotel operator in China, in connection with its US$717 million privatization by a consortium that also included The Carlyle Group and Sequoia Capital
- Baring Private Equity Asia and Nord Anglia Education in the acquisition of WCL Group Ltd, an operator of British schools in North America, the Middle East and Europe, including a US$125 million senior secured bridge loan in relation to the acquisition
- Darby Private Equity, in connection with a warrant investment and secured term loan financing for EQT to support the acquisition of RCS Group, a leading Chinese food and beverage company, from Warburg Pincus
- Delta Health China Ltd., a portfolio company of Fidelity Growth Partners Asia (FGPA) and its affiliates, in a secured US$100 million loan facility from China Merchants Bank, New York Branch, to finance the construction of its first world-class cardiovascular hospital
- Mr. Michael Hui, CEO and founder of ShangPharma Corporation, a China-based contract research organization, in the US$173 million privatization of the company by Mr. Hui and TPG Capital
- Primavera Capital and Khazanah Nasional Berhad, a Malaysian sovereign wealth fund, in the purchase of US$400 million of preferred stock in Alibaba, in connection with the financing of Alibaba’s share repurchase from Yahoo!
- Primavera Capital in the US$138 million privatization of Chemspec International Limited, a specialty chemicals company operating in China, by a consortium including Primavera and Chemspec’s CEO
- CNinsure Inc., an independent insurance intermediary company operating in China and listed on Nasdaq, in its sale of a 55% interest in Beijing Fanhua Datong Investment Management Co., Ltd. to Winner Sight Global Limited, an affiliate of Warburg Pincus
- Bright Food Group in its US$3 billion bid to acquire GNC Holdings, a leading U.S.-based vitamin and supplement chain retailer
- MIE Holdings Corporation, a leading independent upstream oil company operating in China and listed in Hong Kong, in its acquisition of Emir Oil, LLC, a Kazakhstan-based oil and gas company, from U.S.-listed BMB Munai, Inc.
- Allyes Online Media Holdings Ltd in the US$124 million sale of a majority interest in Allyes by Focus Media Holding Limited, a leading digital media group in China, to Silver Lake
- PT Megasari Makmur Group, an Indonesian household products manufacturer, in its sale to Godrej Consumer Products Limited, an Indian consumer products company
- Linkage Technologies International Holdings Limited, a leading provider of software solutions and IT services for the telecommunications industry in China, in the US$1.8 billion business combination with AsiaInfo Holdings, Inc. that created AsiaInfo-Linkage Inc.
- Lion Power Holdings Pte Limited in its SGD3.65 billion acquisition of Senoko Power Limited from Temasek Holdings
- Tongjitang Chinese Medicines Company, a leading provider of Chinese traditional medicine, and the special committee of the board of directors, in a Rule 13e-3 going private transaction pursuant to a Cayman Islands scheme of arrangement (offer ultimately withdrawn by bidding group)
- The 9 Ltd., an online game operator in China, in the:
- Adoption of a shareholder rights plan
- Acquisition of a minority stake in G10 Entertainment Corp., a leading online game developer in Korea
- Acquisition by Electronic Arts Inc. of a 15% stake in The9 for $167 million
- Ozburn-Hessey Logistics, a portfolio company of Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe, in the acquisition of certain of the North American, European and Asian operations of the Dart group of companies
- Home Inns & Hotels Management Inc., a leading economy hotel chain in China, in its sale of US$50 million in equity to Ctrip.com International, Ltd
- CGEN Digital Media Company Limited, a leading operator of in-store digital advertising in China, and its shareholders in the sale of CGEN to Focus Media Holding Limited, for an upfront cash payment of US$168.4 million and an earnout of up to US$181.6 million in Focus Media shares and cash