Prior to Mr. Tyrrell’s appointment as Chief of the Fraud Section in 2006, he served as Deputy Chief of the Counterterrorism Section of the Criminal Division, where he supervised a team of attorneys in connection with the investigation, prosecution, and coordination of a variety of international terrorism and terrorist financing matters. Mr. Tyrrell also led a number of high-profile national security investigations and trained federal prosecutors and agents on relevant national security statutes, policies and practices.
Mr. Tyrrell also served as an Assistant US Attorney in the US Attorney’s Offices in the Southern District of Florida and the Northern District of New York. During his more than fifteen years as an Assistant US Attorney, Mr. Tyrrell investigated and prosecuted a variety of criminal cases, with an emphasis on white collar matters, including but not limited to securities fraud, health care fraud, government contract fraud, bank fraud, tax fraud, FDA fraud, and public corruption, as well as related money laundering and asset forfeiture work. He also was lead counsel for the United States in nearly forty criminal jury trials.
Early in his career, Mr. Tyrrell served as Law Clerk to the Honorable Thomas J. McAvoy, United States District Court Judge for the Northern District of New York.
Mr. Tyrrell is the recipient of the Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service (2005), the Inspector General’s Integrity Award, Department of Health and Human Services (1999), the Timothy J. Evans Memorial Award, U.S. Attorney’s Office (S.D. Fla., 1998), and numerous citations and letters of commendation.
Mr. Tyrrell has been recognized as a recommended lawyer for White Collar Criminal Defense by Legal 500 US, who praised him as “patient and collaborative” and “able to strike a deal which makes sense for the client.” He is a recognized expert and frequent speaker on a host of white collar topics, including FCPA enforcement, securities fraud, corporate charging decisions, use of deferred and non-prosecution agreements, and monitors.
Mr. Tyrrell is a graduate of New York Law School where he was the Research Editor of the Law Review.
- Representing and conducting an internal investigation for a global pharmaceutical company in a joint DOJ and SEC investigation of alleged FCPA violations in China, Eastern Europe, Africa and the Middle East.
- Representing a former employee of a major financial institution in connection with a DOJ criminal investigation into alleged manipulation of LIBOR.
- Representing a multi-national oil services industry company before the DOJ in connection with potential violations of the FCPA in China, South and Central America, Africa and Europe.
- Representation of an India-based manufacturer of mining equipment in a joint DOJ and SEC investigation of alleged FCPA violations.
- Representing a senior executive of a global operator of retail department stores in a joint DOJ and SEC investigation of alleged FCPA violations in Central America and Asia.
- Representing two former employees of a multi-national spirits company in a joint DOJ and SEC investigation of alleged FCPA violations in Russia.
- Representing two senior executives of a global oil services industry company in a DOJ investigation of alleged violations of US export controls and sanctions laws.
- Conducting an internal investigation for a financial services company regarding allegations of improper payments in connection with its Nigerian operations.
- Represented a UK-based, global specialty chemicals company in a DOJ investigation of alleged violations of US export controls and sanctions laws.
- Designed and assisted in the implementation of anti-bribery and corruption policies and procedures for a UK-based, global specialty chemicals company.
- Designed and assisted in the implementation of anti-bribery and corruption policies and procedures for a multi-national telecommunications company.
- Designed and assisted in the implementation of anti-bribery and corruption policies and procedures for a multi-national financial services company.
- Designed and assisted in the implementation of anti-bribery and corruption policies and procedures for a global tax-free shopping and related financial services company.
- Designed anti-bribery and corruption policies and procedures for a multi-national family dining and entertainment company.
- Led FCPA due diligence on Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ acquisition of Prestige Cruises International.
- Led FCPA due diligence on General Electric Co’s. acquisition of Lufkin Industries.
- Led FCPA due diligence on Oracle Corporation’s acquisition of Acme Packet.
- Designed anti-bribery and corruption policies and procedures for a multi-national telecommunications equipment manufacturer.
- Led FCPA due diligence on publicly traded, multi-national health care company’s acquisition of the Eastern European operations of a competitor.
- Provided FCPA training for the Board of Directors of a global clothing manufacturer and retailer.
- Advising a global commercial aircraft leasing company on various anti-bribery and corruption compliance matters.
- Obtained dismissal of federal civil RICO action and related state claims brought by Greenpeace against The Dow Chemical Company.