Stacy Nettleton is a partner in the Securities Litigation practice group. She focuses on litigation of securities, derivative, M&A, and complex business matters at the trial and appellate levels in both federal and state courts, and before arbitration panels.
Ms. Nettleton has extensive experience representing clients in connection with internal investigations as well as federal, state, and foreign governmental and regulatory investigations, including investigations by the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the New York Stock Exchange, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, and the New York Attorney General’s Office. She is also involved in counseling boards of directors, board committees, and senior management with respect to a broad range of matters, including securities, corporate governance, disclosure, and regulatory issues. Since 2014, Ms. Nettleton has been recognized as a “Rising Star” by New York Super Lawyers, and in 2016, she was recognized as a “Rising Star” for Litigation by Euromoney in its 2016 Americas Women in Business Law Awards.
Recent experience includes:
- Affiliated Computer Services – Representation of Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Affiliated Computer Services in connection with management buyout proposal from Cerberus Capital Management and Darwin Deason, including successful defense of accompanying shareholder litigation.
- American International Group – Representation of AIG in all regulatory and congressional investigations and shareholder class and derivative litigations arising from the 2008 financial crisis. Obtained dismissal of shareholder derivative action, favorable settlement of securities class action, and successful motion to dismiss claims in whole and in part in related “opt-out” securities litigations.
- The Estée Lauder Companies – Obtained dismissal of securities litigation and related shareholder derivative suits for the Estée Lauder Companies.
- Fairway Group Holding and Sterling Investment – Obtained dismissal of securities class action and derivative litigations against Fairway and its private equity owner arising out of Fairway’s IPO and growth projections.
- Francesca’s Holding and CCMP – Obtained dismissal of securities class action and derivative litigations against Francesca’s and its former private equity owner arising out of disclosures concerning Francesca’s sales and earnings projections.
- General Electric – Representation of GE entities in litigations relating to RMBS securitizations.
- Mann, Inc. – Representation of Mann, Inc. in shareholder litigation arising from its acquisition of GLC.
- The Shaw Group – Representation of The Shaw Group in shareholder litigation arising from CB&I’s $3 billion acquisition of the Company.
- Signet – Representation of Signet in connection with shareholder litigation in Delaware Chancery Court and on appeal to the Delaware Supreme Court arising out of Signet’s $1.4 billion acquisition of Zale. Obtained dismissal of all claims, upheld on appeal.
- Taro Pharmaceuticals – Favorable settlement of securities class action for Taro Pharmaceuticals. Achieved voluntary dismissal of related shareholder derivative actions.
- The Walt Disney Company – Successfully defended The Walt Disney Company in multi-jurisdictional shareholder class action litigation arising out of Disney's $4 billion acquisition of Marvel Entertainment.
Ms. Nettleton has devoted considerable time to pro bono matters, including serving as extern counsel at the Brooklyn Branch of Legal Services for New York City in 2005.
Ms. Nettleton graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Boston University in 1999, and received her J.D. from New York University School of Law in 2002, where she served on the Moot Court Board.