Shayla Harlev is a partner in Weil’s private equity practice and based in the Firm’s Boston office. Ms. Harlev has a diverse transactional and corporate counseling practice with an emphasis on representing private equity sponsors in connection with acquisitions and dispositions and other complex transactions.
She has extensive experience with leveraged buyouts and dispositions of public and private companies, as well as going-private transactions, minority investments, and joint ventures. Ms. Harlev also counsels private equity sponsor portfolio companies on a variety of corporate and strategic matters.
Ms. Harlev has represented some of the world’s leading private equity firms, including Berkshire Partners, Thomas H. Lee Partners, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and Advent International.
Ms. Harlev has been recognized as a leading lawyer for Corporate/M&A and Private Equity: Buyouts: Massachusetts in Chambers USA and a Private Equity “Rising Star” by IFLR1000. Ms. Harlev was also named one of Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly’s 2014 “Top Women of Law.”
- Sanofi in its pending $25 billion exchange of Merial, its animal health business, for the consumer healthcare business of Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH
- Montagu Private Equity in its $725 million sale of Centor to Gerresheimer AG
- KTR Capital Partners in the $5.9 billion sale by its REIT subsidiaries of its real estate assets and operating platform to Prologis, Inc.
- IDI Gazeley, a part of Brookfield Logistics Properties, in the sale of their Mexican Industrial Portfolio
- Berkshire Partners in its acquisition of The Portillo Restaurant Group, Inc.
- Berkshire Partners in its sale of Grocery Outlet, Inc. to Hellman & Friedman LLC and Grocery Outlet's own senior management
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan in the formation of Aethon United LP and its acquisition of several oil and gas properties, including the upstream and midstream oil and gas assets of J-W Operating Company and its affiliates
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in its acquisition of a minority stake in First Data Corporation
- Ileos, SA (France), a portfolio company of Oaktree Capital Management, in its joint venture with Visant Corporation, a portfolio company of affiliates of KKR and DLJ Merchant Banking
- Berkshire Partners in the sale of its portfolio company National Vision to an affiliate of KKR
- HMT Inc. (a portfolio company of Berkshire Partners) in its sale of Enardo LLC
- Verde Realty in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Industrial Developments International, Inc.
- Brookfield Asset Management in the $866 million acquisition by BSREP Industrial, L.P. of Verde Realty
- Berkshire Partners in its investments in Torres Unidas and Farm Boy
- Thomas H. Lee Partners in its $400 million acquisition of Fogo de Chão Churrascaria and its acquisitions of All Systems Holding LLC and Intermedix Corporation
- AmSafe Global Holdings (a portfolio company of Berkshire Partners and Greenbriar Equity Group) in its $750 million acquisition by TransDigm Group
- Advent International in its leveraged buyout of Morrison Supply
- Univision Communications (a portfolio company of Berkshire Partners) in the $1.2 billion investment by Grupo Televisa, Mexico's top TV broadcaster
Ms. Harlev is highly involved in pro bono work and is the outside counsel for the Massachusetts Legal Assistance Corporation (MLAC), an organization that ensures that low-income people with critical, non-criminal legal problems have access to legal information, advice, and representation and is the largest funding source for civil legal aid programs in Massachusetts. Ms. Harlev is also a member of the Firm’s Diversity Committee.
Ms. Harlev is fluent in English, Turkish, and Hebrew.