Among the matters Mr. Climan has handled are:
- Oracle’s acquisition of Responsys for approximately $1.5 billion
- Illumina’s successful defense against Roche’s $6.2 billion hostile takeover attempt
- the sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers to a buyout group led by Guggenheim Partners for more than $2 billion
- the sale of Blackboard to a private equity group led by Providence Equity Partners for more than $1.6 billion
- Dell’s acquisition of Compellent Technologies for approximately $1 billion
- Gilead Sciences’ acquisitions of Myogen for approximately $2.5 billion and CV Therapeutics for approximately $1.4 billion
- Synopsys’ acquisitions of Magma Design Automation, Coverity, Atrenta, Codenomicon, WinterLogic and Gold Standard Simulations
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Barclays in their capacity as financial advisors on various acquisitions in the technology sector
Mr. Climan was included in The National Law Journal’s list of the 100 most influential lawyers in America. In 2016, he was named one of the ten most highly regarded M&A and Governance lawyers in the world by Who’s Who Legal. The publication has described Mr. Climan as a “huge name in the market,” a “gold-standard transactional lawyer” and a “transactional whizz.” In 2015, he was one of 50 lawyers nationwide recognized as “Legends of the 500,” having made Lawdragon’s list of 500 leading lawyers in America every year it has been published. Lawdragon has described Mr. Climan as “one of the nation’s best legal minds in M&A”. In addition, he was named one of the top 100 lawyers in California by the Daily Journal in 2010 - 2014. Mr. Climan is ranked in Band 1 for Northern California Corporate/M&A in Chambers USA, with clients describing Mr. Climan as “the dean of M&A”.
As a member of the adjunct faculty at UCLA School of Law and as a lecturer at UC Berkeley School of Law, Mr. Climan has co-taught, with Chief Justice Leo Strine of the Delaware Supreme Court, a course titled “Real World M&A.” He Co-Chairs the ABA’s annual National M&A Institute (now in its 21st year), and is a member of the Executive Committee and former Chair of the Securities Regulation Institute (presented by Northwestern School of Law in Coronado and now in its 44th year). He lectures around the world on M&A-related matters, and has participated in M&A-related presentations at Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, UC Berkeley and University of Virginia Law Schools.
Mr. Climan has been an active member of the M&A Committee, an international committee of the American Bar Association’s Business Law Section with more than 4,000 members, for more than 20 years, serving as Chair from 2002 to 2006 and currently as a member of the Committee’s Executive Council. In addition, Mr. Climan was appointed to serve on the Business Law Section’s Corporate Laws Committee for a six-year term that ended in 2016.
In addition to his experience in the acquisitions arena, Mr. Climan has experience in corporate finance, securities, corporate governance, joint venture and general corporate matters. He is a member of the Program Advisory Board of the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation.