Richard E. Climan is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice group in the Silicon Valley office of Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP. He focuses on negotiating and advising clients on all types of acquisition transactions and related matters, including mergers, divestitures, tender offers, defensive strategies, going-private transactions, hostile takeovers, proxy contests, leveraged buy-outs and cross-border transactions. He has handled some of the most prominent acquisitions in the technology and life sciences sectors over the past two decades.
Among the matters Mr. Climan has handled are:
- Oracle’s acquisition of Responsys for approximately $1.5 billion
- Illumina’s successful defense against Roche’s $6.2 billion hostile takeover attempt
- the sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers to a buyout group led by Guggenheim Partners and Magic Johnson for more than $2 billion
- the purchase by Synopsys of Magma Design Automation for more than $500 million and Coverity for approximately $375 million
- the sale of Blackboard to a private equity group led by Providence Equity Partners for more than $1.6 billion
- Dell’s acquisition of Compellent Technologies for approximately $1 billion
- Gilead Sciences’ acquisitions of Myogen for approximately $2.5 billion and CV Therapeutics for approximately $1.4 billion
Mr. Climan was included in The National Law Journal’s list of the 100 most influential lawyers in America. In 2015, he was named one of the ten most highly regarded M&A and Governance lawyers in the world by Who’s Who Legal. Also in 2015, he was one of 50 lawyers nationwide recognized as “Legends of the 500,” having made Lawdragon’s list of 500 leading lawyers in America every year it has been published. He was also named one of the top 100 lawyers in California by the Daily Journal in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014. Mr. Climan is ranked in Band 1 for California Corporate/M&A in Chambers USA.
Mr. Climan has been an active member of the M&A Committee, an international committee of the American Bar Association’s Business Law Section with more than 4,000 members, for more than 20 years, serving as Chair from 2002 to 2006 and currently as a member of the Committee’s Executive Council. In addition, Mr. Climan has been appointed to serve on the Business Law Section’s Corporate Laws Committee.
Mr. Climan is a frequent speaker and lecturer on M&A-related topics. As a member of the adjunct faculty at UCLA School of Law and as a lecturer at UC Berkeley School of Law, Mr. Climan has co-taught, with Chief Justice Leo Strine of the Delaware Supreme Court, a course entitled “Real World M&A.” He Co-Chairs the ABA’s annual National Institute on Negotiating Business Acquisitions, and is the former Chair of the Securities Regulation Institute (presented in Coronado). He speaks regularly at major conferences across the country, and he has participated in M&A-related presentations at Harvard, Columbia, Stanford and the University of Virginia Law Schools. Mr. Climan has lectured to the staff of the Securities and Exchange Commission on public company acquisitions, and has appeared as a commentator on CNBC's nationally broadcast “Squawk Box” program and on Bloomberg News.
In addition to his experience in the acquisitions arena, Mr. Climan has experience in corporate finance, securities, corporate governance, joint venture and general corporate matters. He is a member of the Program Advisory Board of the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation.