Peter Feist is a partner in Weil’s Corporate Department. Mr. Feist focuses on private equity and mergers & acquisitions. He has a diverse practice that includes advising clients on a wide array of transactions, including private and public acquisitions, leveraged and management buyouts, going-private transactions, recapitalizations, financings, minority investments and divestitures. Mr. Feist also advises clients on general corporate matters, including matters regarding securities laws and corporate governance.
Mr. Feist has represented many leading private equity and corporate clients including Advent International, American Capital, Anchor Equity Partners, Baring Private Equity Asia, General Electric Company, Hahn & Co., Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board, Providence Equity Partners, Public Sector Pension Investment Board, Thomas H. Lee Partners and Unitas Capital, among others.
Mr. Feist has been consistently recognized as a leading transactional lawyer by Chambers, Legal 500, and IFLR. Chambers has noted that Mr. Feist’s “‘fine skill set, boosted by his extensive experience in deals’ was highly praised by interviewees, along with his outstanding deal execution skills.” Legal 500 has noted, “Lead partner Peter Feist is ‘an excellent draftsman and adviser, with a high degree of pragmatism.’” IFLR has noted that he “is a top private equity lawyer.” In addition, Mr. Feist’s “extensive transactional experience” was highlighted by the International Who’s Who of Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyers 2014.
Mr. Feist was a founding partner of Weil’s Hong Kong office, where he led the Firm’s Asia-Pacific private equity practice. Under Mr. Feist’s leadership, Weil’s private equity practice in Asia became one of the leading private equity platforms in the region and ranked a Tier 1 regional practice.
Selected transactions on which Mr. Feist has advised include:
- Advent International in multiple matters, including, together with Bain Capital, in the sale of a controlling stake in Boart Longyear to an investor group led by Macquarie, and the subsequent disposition of certain interests in Boart Longyear in an IPO of Boart Longyear
- Anchor Equity Partners, together with KKR, in the acquisition of a controlling stake in Ticket Monster, an e-commerce provider of discounted consumer goods, coupons for local services and travel packages from Groupon
- Baring Private Equity Asia in multiple matters, including in its acquisition of CMS Info Systems, a cash management services company, from Blackstone
- General Electric Company in multiple matters, including in its strategic plan to sell most of GE Capital’s assets and its sales of its stakes in Hyundai Capital Services, a joint venture between Hyundai Motor Company and GE Capital, and Hyundai Card Co., a joint venture between Hyundai Motor Company and GE
- Hahn & Co., together with Hankook Tire Co. Ltd., in the US$3.6 billion acquisition of an approximately 70% equity stake in Hanon Systems (formerly known as Halla Visteon Climate Control Corp.) from Visteon Corporation
- Lee Equity Partners in its acquisition of K-Mac Investors LLC
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board in multiple matters, including their approximately US$400 million investment in Kyobo Life Insurance Company
- OMERS Private Equity in its pending acquisition, with management, of Inmar, Inc. from ABRY Partners; and together with Harvest Partners, in the approximately $1 billion take-private acquisition of Epiq Systems, Inc. and its combination with DTI (Document Technologies Inc.)
- Providence Equity Partners in multiple matters, including (1) as part of the investor group in Young Lion Holdings Limited, in the group's acquisition of a 26% stake of Television Broadcasts Limited, a free-to-air producer and broadcaster of television programs, (2) in the acquisition of a stake in Hathway Cable & Datacom Ltd., a cable television service and Internet operator, (3) in its investments in UFO Moviez India Limited, a satellite-based digital cinema service, (4) in its acquisition of a 50% stake in Star CJ Network India, a home-shopping channel that is a joint venture with CJ O Shopping Co Ltd, (5) with Ayala Corporation in the acquisition of eTelecare Global Solutions (dual-listed in the U.S. and the Philippines), a provider of outsourcing services, and in its subsequent sale to Stream Global Services, and (6) in its acquisition of Study Group, a leading education company
- Public Sector Pension Investment Board in the C$3.4 billion acquisition with Loral Space & Communications of BCE Inc.'s Telesat Canada and the related merger of Telesat Canada with Loral Skynet
- THL Partners in multiple matters, including in the sale of its portfolio company Encoda Systems Holdings, Inc. to Harris Corporation
- Unitas Capital in multiple matters, including (1) the sale of Air International Thermal Systems, a maker of air conditioning and related units for the car industry, to China-listed Nanjing Aotecar New Energy Technology, and (2) the €525 million acquisition of Hyva, a manufacturer of hydraulic cylinders and tippers for transportation equipment used in heavy-duty mining and environmental services, from 3i and others
Mr. Feist received his law degree, with first class honors, from Victoria University of Wellington, where he also received a business degree in accounting and finance.