He graduated, with distinction, from the Faculty of Law and Administration of the University of Warsaw in 1998 and qualified as a legal advisor in 2003. Pawel is a renowned specialist in mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and private equity transactions. His clients include public and private companies, private equity funds, underwriters and various institutional clients from a variety of industries. He also has broad experience in corporate governance and hostile takeover defence issues. He joined Weil in 1996.
His recent experience includes:
- Deutsche Bank, London Branch and ING Securities, as joint bookrunners, in the approximately $338 million sale of shares in Enea by Vattenfall in an accelerated bookbuilding process.
- Montagu Private Equity in its sale of a 100% stake in EmiTel to funds managed by Alinda Capital Partners.
- Newag in its $129 million initial public offering and listing on the Warsaw Stock Exchange addressed to individual and institutional Polish investors.
- Polskie Koleje Panstwowe and its subsidiary, PKP Cargo, in the $468 million initial public offering and listing on the Warsaw Stock Exchange of PKP Cargo.
- Polimex-Mostostal, financial reorganisation and restructuring of its capital group.
- Polskie Koleje Panstwowe (PKP) in the $67 million sale of Polskie Koleje Linowe to Polskie Koleje Gorskie, a company established by four Polish Tatra Mountains communities and backed by a private equity sponsor, Mid Europa Partners.
- Griffin Topco II, a fund owned by Oaktree Capital, in the acquisition of Meble Emilia.
- Eurocash in the PLN 1.070 billion term financing for the acquisition of shares in a group of companies engaged in the wholesale distribution of FMCG products and real estate connected with the distribution business, as well as companies managing franchise networks from Emperia Holding.
- The Polish Ministry of the State Treasury in the sale of 7.02% of the shares in PGE Polska Grupa Energetyczna by way of an accelerated bookbuilding offering to domestic and international institutional investors.
- The consortium of joint lead managers: Bank Pekao, Bank Handlowy w Warszawie, Dom Maklerski Banku Handlowego, and UniCredit CAIB Poland and financial advisor J.P. Morgan Securities in the $51 million offering of unsecured bonds by the Warsaw Stock Exchange to institutional investors.
- Warta Glass in the sale of the Warta Glass Group to BA Vidro.
- TAURON Polska Energia in its $3.180 billion acquisition of Gornoslaski Zaklad Elektroenergetyczny and its subsidiaries, Vattenfall Distribution Poland, Vattenfall Sales Poland, Vattenfall Network Services Poland, Vattenfall Wolin-North, Vattenfall Generation Poland and Vattenfall Business Services Poland from Vattenfall.
- Invalda and other shareholders of the Tiltra Group companies in their $265 million sale of shares in the Tiltra Group companies to Trakcja Polska.
- ROBYG in its $28 million initial public offering on the Warsaw Stock Exchange.
For many years Pawel Zdort has been recognised by international legal rankings such as Chambers & Partners, The Legal 500, IFLR 1000, PLC Which Lawyer?, Expert Guides and Best Lawyers, as well as local legal rankings of a leading Polish daily, Rzeczpospolita, and the Polish edition of Forbes, as one of the leading lawyers in Poland for corporate and M&A, equity capital markets, private equity and energy & natural resources.
The prestigious legal ranking publication Chambers & Partners has ranked Pawel since 2007 as one of the best specialists in Poland for corporate/M&A, capital markets and private equity, including currently being ranked in Band 1 for equity capital markets and corporate/M&A. According to the most recent report, “‘Top lawyer’ Pawel Zdort advises a wide range of clients, including public and private entities as well as private equity funds and underwriters. He also has in-depth expertise in M&A. ‘He is active and hands-on,’ a source confirms.” The report goes on to state that “Pawel Zdort's broad practice encompasses M&A, capital markets and private equity matters. He provides expert advice to private and public sector clients on issues including corporate governance and hostile takeovers. Sources agree that he is ‘extremely experienced.’”
Pawel Zdort has been voted by his peers one of Poland’s Best Lawyers for stock exchange debuts, capital markets and securities in the last eight editions of the legal ranking prepared by Rzeczpospolita, and recommended for M&A/privatisations/restructuring in the last five editions.
Pawel is fluent in English.