Paul is experienced in the full range of international and domestic business restructuring and insolvency matters.
Paul has significant experience in providing strategic and transactional advice to lenders, investors, sponsors and distressed corporates in large restructurings. He also has extensive experience in cross-border and domestic formal insolvency proceedings, as well as particular experience in LBO and high yield restructurings.
Paul is consistently ranked across all leading legal directories including Chambers, Legal 500 and IFLR 1000 where he is ranked as a “Leading Lawyer”. He is ranked for Restructuring in Chambers UK, where he is praised as a “very creative and practical partner” with “a sensible head on his shoulders.” He is also ‘recommended’ in Legal 500 as “very experienced and reliable” with one commentator describing him as “highly articulate … able to absorb all the facts and often arrive at unthought-of solutions”.
Paul lectures on a variety of topics, with a special interest in the insolvency jurisdiction of the English courts and the use of pre-packaged transactions and schemes of arrangements as a means of implementing restructuring transactions.
- Advising the ad hoc committee of noteholders on the EnQuest restructuring
- Advising the ad hoc committee of senior secured noteholders on the restructuring of Edcon Limited
- Advising the anchor investor in the Stemcor restructuring, the most important UK mining and metals restructuring of the current cycle
- Advising a leading Nigerian energy company as strategic bidder in the restructuring of Afren
- Advising the ad hoc committee of bondholders in relation to Ukrainian sovereign and sub-sovereign debt
- Findus Foods, acting for the key stakeholder group
- Eurotunnel, acting for the senior coordinating committee
- Ad van Geloven, acting for the incumbent sponsor on sponsor-led restructuring
- MF Global, acting for the special administrators
- Enron Europe, acting for the administrator
- Various hedge funds in distressed M&A transactions
- XL Airways, acting for the company
- West Ham United FC, acting for the bank syndicate
- Ennstone plc, acting company side in the restructuring of this main market company
- Cheyne plc SIV, acting for the mezzanine investor committee
- Leicester City FC, acting for the senior lender
- Office Metro Limited, acting for the Luxembourg liquidator