Matthew acts for clients in a wide range of international commercial disputes operating out of a variety of sectors, including financial services, energy and natural resources, and hospitality. Matthew frequently advises major international corporations and financial institutions in areas such as: disputes in CLO and CDO structured finance transactions; cross border insolvencies, involving proceedings in a number of off-shore jurisdictions including Jersey, Guernsey and the BVI; shareholder disputes (including minority shareholder issues); fraud and corruption; and regulatory investigations.
Matthew has acted extensively on the litigation arising from the special administration of MF Global UK, including: cross border disputes with other MF Global entities (with a combined value in excess of $1 billion); disputes with market infrastructure institutions; and creditor / debtor disputes in a variety of jurisdictions including the US, South America and Hong Kong. He also continues to act for the Lehman estate on various legacy issues.
Matthew’s arbitration experience includes advising clients in a number of on-going institutional and ad hoc proceedings, as well as pre-arbitration advice in relation to claim formulation and Tribunal nomination, as well as advising on all aspects of drafting arbitration agreements in the context of hotel management agreements, private equity transactions, shareholders agreements, joint ventures and commercial supply contracts.
Matthew acts on a pro bono basis through the Citizen's Advice Bureau at the Royal Courts of Justice, as well as representing a number of other charitable organisations in both domestic and international disputes.
Representative litigation experience:
- Heis & Ors (Administrators of MF Global UK Ltd) v MF Global Inc  EWHC 3415 (Ch): Acting for the special administrators of MF Global UK Ltd in a claim concerning the ownership of over $600m of US Treasury Bills
- Napier Park European Credit Opportunities Fund Ltd v Harbourmaster Pro-Rata Clo 2 B.V. & Ors  EWHC 1083 (Ch): Acting for Blackstone/GSO as collateral manager in a part 8 claim to determine whether reinvestment criteria had been met
- Citicorp Trustee Company Ltd v Barclays Bank plc & Ors  EWHC 2608 (Ch): Acting for Barclays Bank plc in a trustee directions application as to whether certain notes were disenfranchised
- Nutritek Corporation, a Russian dairy/baby food company, in defending against a $346 million fraud claim brought by VTB Capital plc
- A global hospitality company in relation to various arbitrations arising out of development projects in Europe, Central Asia, Asia and the Caribbean
- A Turkish entrepreneur as claimant in an ICC arbitration in London relating to disputes arising under a non-compete agreement, worth in excess of US$300 million