Mark Schwed is a partner in the New York office of the Firm’s Tax, Executive Compensation & Benefits Department. His practice focuses on representing public companies and private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies in connection with domestic and international acquisitions and investments, divestitures, joint ventures, financings and restructurings. He also regularly advises sponsors on tax matters involved in the structuring and negotiating of complex real estate transactions, including the formation of REITs.
Mr. Schwed represents many of the leading private equity and real estate funds in transactions in the U.S. and globally, including American Securities, American Capital, Avista Capital Partners, Berkshire Partners, Brookfield Asset Management, Centerbridge Partners, Goldman Sachs, Lee Equity, Lindsay Goldberg, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, Summit Partners, Providence Equity, Technology Crossover Ventures, The Gores Group, Tishman Speyer and their portfolio companies. Mr. Schwed is recommended for US Taxes: Non-Contentious by Legal 500 US and recognized as a 2014, 2015 and 2016 “Rising Star” for Tax by Super Lawyers.
Notable transactions include:
- Altisource Residential Corporation in REIT tax-related matters.
- American Capital in the sales of Specialty Brands of America, Inc. and eLynx.
- American Securities Capital Partners in its acquisitions of Henry Company LLC, Ulterra Drilling Technologies, L.P., NAPA Management Services Corporation, Royal Adhesives and Sealants, LLC, Emerald Performance Materials and subsequently subsidiary Emerald Kalama Chemical’s acquisition of Innospec Widnes Limited, Grede Holdings LLC, Metaldyne, SpecialtyCare and Tekni-Plex, in the reorganization and IPO of Metaldyne Performance Group, and in the recapitalization of Aspen Dental Management Inc.
- Archstone in connection with claims that it breached various tax protection agreements in its take-private transaction.
- Avista Capital Partners in its acquisitions of Trimb Healthcare AB, INC Research and Acino.
- Berkshire Partners in its acquisitions of The Portillo Restaurant Group, HMT and Grocery Outlet, the formation of Torres Unidas, the acquisition of The Rockport Company and its sales of National Vision and Grocery Outlet.
- Brookfield Asset Management Inc. in its $2.8 billion acquisition of all of the outstanding common shares not already owned by Brookfield Property Partners L.P. of Rouse Properties, Inc.
- C-III Asset Management in the acquisition of various domestic office buildings.
- CCMP Capital Advisors in its acquisition of Shoes For Crews LLC.
- Centerbridge Partners in its acquisitions of KIK Custom Products, Inc.; IPC Systems and IPC’s add-on acquisition of Etrali Trading Solutions; Craftworks Restaurants and Breweries; and syncreon
- F.A.B. Partners LP in its $333 million acquisition of CIFC LLC.
- General Electric in the formation of Mubadala GE Capital PJSC.
- Goldman Sachs in its acquisition of PSAV and investments in ProQuest and Cell Sites Solutions S.A.
- Grand Design Recreational Vehicle Company (a portfolio company of Summit Partners) in its $500 million sale to Winnebago Industries, Inc.
- Industrial Development International in REIT tax-related matters.
- J.C. Flowers in its acquisition of a controlling interest in ELMC Group, LLC.
- KTR Capital Partners in its $5.9 billion sale of real estate assets and its operating platform to Prologis Inc.
- Lee Equity Partners in the acquisition and IPO of Papa Murphy’s, its acquisition by portfolio company PDR Network of LDM Group, and its sale of PDR Network.
- Lehman Brothers in the sale of the assets of Archstone to Equity Residential and AvalonBay.
- Lindsay Goldberg in its acquisitions of Value Place Holdings LLC, Aviv REIT, Inc., Brock and PSC, the IPO of Aviv REIT, Inc. and Aviv’s merger with Omega Healthcare Investors, the sale of PSC, and the formation of Federal Way Asset Management LP.
- MGM Resorts International in its formation of MGM Growth Properties LLC (MGP), on the tax aspects of MGP’s $1.05 billion initial public offering, and in the $1.175 billion sale of the real property of the Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa in Atlantic City, New Jersey to MGM Growth Properties LLC.
- Montagu Private Equity in its $725 million sale of Centor US Holding, Inc.
- Northbridge Growth Equity in its sale of Contact Solutions, LLC.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in its acquisitions of Aurora Plastics Group, Heartland Dental Care, PetVet and PhyMed, and its investment in CSC ServiceWorks.
- Providence Equity Partners in its acquisitions of PADI and of an equity stake in RentPath, Inc. and the sale of SSI/Opinionology.
- Providence Strategic Growth Partners in its investments in Untangle NG Firewall, Anju Software, LogicMonitor Inc., Burning Glass Technologies, Abacus Data Systems, Inc. and Skybox Security, Inc.
- Silverpeak Real Estate Partners, the indirect general partner of Lion Gables Apartment Fund, L.P., and Gables Residential, in connection with the Fund's $3.2 billion sale of Gables Residential to a consortium led by Clarion Partners, LLC.
- StatSoft, Inc. in its sale to Dell.
- TA Associates Management in its acquisition of Professional Datasolutions, Inc.
- Technology Crossover Ventures in its investments in Vice Media, NewVoiceMedia Limited, Siteminder and Spotify, and its spin off by Think Finance, Inc. of its portfolio of branded consumer lending products into a new company called Elevate.
- The Gores Group in its sales of Sage Automotive Interiors and Tiburon, Inc.
- Tishman Speyer in connection with the acquisition and development of a number of domestic and Latin American real estate projects.
Mr. Schwed is a member of the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts.