Recent transactions handled by Mr. Flaum include:
- Oracle’s acquisitions of NetSuite for $9.3 billion, MICROS Systems for $5.3 billion, Taleo Corporation for $1.9 billion, Acme Packet, Inc. for $1.7 billion, Eloqua Inc. for $871 million, Textura Corporation for $663 million and Opower, Inc. for $532 million
- Reid Hoffman, founder and controlling stockholder of LinkedIn, in LinkedIn’s acquisition by Microsoft for $26.2 billion
- zulily, inc. in its $2.4 billion sale to Liberty Interactive Corporation
- Applied Materials’ $29 billion merger with Tokyo Electron, and its acquisition of Varian Semiconductor Equipment for approximately $4.9 billion, as well as numerous other acquisitions
- Facebook’s $16 billion acquisition of WhatsApp
- Illumina’s successful defense of Roche’s $6.2 billion hostile takeover attempt
- eBay’s acquisitions of GSI Commerce for approximately $2.4 billion, GittiGidiyor (based in Turkey) and Brands4Friends (based in Germany) – and eBay’s sale of a majority interest in Skype for approximately $1.9 billion and its enterprise business to Sterling Partners and Permira for $925 million, as well as numerous other acquisitions
- RF Micro Devices’ $1.6 billion merger of equals with TriQuint Semiconductor
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals’ $1 billion acquisition of Gentium S.p.A.
- Riverbed Technology’s acquisition of OPNET Technologies for approximately $1 billion, as well as acquisitions of Zeus Technology in the United Kingdom and Aptimze in New Zealand
- Opera Software in its acquisitions of Bemobi Mídia e Entretenimento Ltda in Brazil, Mobilike Mobil Reklam Pazarlama ve Ticaret Anonim Şirketi in Turkey, SurfEasy in Canada and Huntmads S.A. in Argentina, as well as numerous acquisitions in the United States
Mr. Flaum is highly regarded in his practice area and has consistently been recognized as a leading M&A lawyer. In 2016 he was recognized as a “Trailblazer” in M&A by The National Law Journal and a “Life Science Star” by the LMG Life Sciences Guide. He has been recognized by Law360 as a 2013, 2015 and 2016 “Technology MVP” and a 2014 “M&A MVP.” Mr. Flaum is included as a leader in Who's Who Legal: M&A and Governance for his M&A work and among Lawdragon’s “Top 500 Leading Dealmakers.” He has also been named to the Daily Journal’s list of the “Top 100 Leading Lawyers" in California. Mr. Flaum is ranked Band 1 for California Corporate/M&A in Chambers USA, and is ranked Band 2 in Chambers Global.
Mr. Flaum has been actively involved for more than 15 years in the M&A Committee of the ABA’s Section of Business Law, including as Vice Chair of the Committee, Chair of the Market Trends Subcommittee, Co-Chair of the International M&A Subcommittee and a member of the Subcommittee on Acquisitions of Public Companies.