Jonathan Macke is an associate, elected partner effective January 1, 2017, in the Firm’s Tax, Executive Compensation & Benefits Department and is based in the Dallas office. He concentrates on the tax aspects of a wide range of corporate transactions, including domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and financing transactions. Mr. Macke has significant experience with respect to transactions involving partnerships and other pass-through entities. He also practices extensively in the area of private investment funds, where he has been involved in advising sponsor and investor clients in a wide variety of private investment funds including leveraged buyout, energy, infrastructure, region-specific (including Asia and India) and real estate opportunity funds.
Mr. Macke has been part of the teams advising:
- The founders of Magnetar Capital, an alternative asset manager with approximately $13.6 billion of assets under management, in the sale of a minority interest in Magnetar Capital Partners to an investment fund affiliated with Blackstone Alternative Asset Management.
- Octagon Credit Investors, LLC in its sale to Conning & Company.
- THL Partners in its sale of a majority stake in 1-800 CONTACTS, Inc.
- JPMorgan Chase in connection with the bulk sale of approximately 50% of the portfolio companies held by the investment funds managed by One Equity Partners to an investor group led by Lexington Partners and AlpInvest Partners, and the related spin-out of One Equity Partners into an independent private equity firm.
- KTR Capital Partners in its $5.9 billion sale of real estate assets and its operating platform to Prologis Inc.
- Tailwater Capital LLC in the closing of its third fund, Tailwater Energy Fund II LP.
- GM in its $4.2 billion acquisition of much of Ally Bank’s European and Latin American auto finance operations and its share in a Chinese joint venture.
- LIN Media LLC in its $2.6 billion merger with Media General, Inc.
- Harsco Corporation in the approximately $525 million sale of its infrastructure division to a joint venture with Clayton, Dubilier & Rice.
- Willis Group Holdings Public Limited Company in its $525 million offering of two tranches of investment grade notes to finance its tender offers for three series of outstanding notes issued by its subsidiary, Willis North America Inc.
- Lindsay Goldberg in its purchase, through a subsidiary, of 275,000 marine cargo containers from two funds controlled by German investment company Buss Global Container Management GmbH.
- IAC/InterActiveCorp in its acquisition of About, Inc., including About.com and the About.com network of topic sites, from The New York Times Company.
- Bluegrass Materials Company, LLC (a portfolio company of Lindsay Goldberg LLC), in its acquisitions of four aggregates quarries in the Atlanta Metro Area and five aggregates quarries and related assets in Maryland from Lafarge North America.
- C.R. Bard, Inc. in its acquisition of catheter maker Rochester Medical Inc. and the sale of its electrophysiology business, Bard EP, to Boston Scientific Corporation.
- Southcross Holdings LP in a $210 million preferred equity commitment from Energy Capital Partners Mezzanine Opportunities Fund and GE Energy Financial Services.
Mr. Macke joined Weil in 2012. Prior to joining Weil, Mr. Macke was a tax associate in the New York office of a leading international law firm. He received his B.A. cum laude from Pepperdine University in 2001 and his J.D. magna cum laude from the University of Arkansas School of Law in 2004, where he was an Articles Editor for the Arkansas Law Review. Mr. Macke also received his LL.M. in Taxation from New York University in 2008.