David Duffell is a consultant in the Firm’s Corporate Department. Mr. Duffell has focused his practice on representing large private equity funds in connection with their domestic and international investments, merger & acquisition and financing activities.
- Berkshire Partners in, together a joint venture with New Balance Holding, Inc., the acquisition by such joint venture of The Rockport Company from adidas AG (Germany), as well as the acquisition of Drydock Footwear from New Balance Holding, Inc.
- Berkshire Partners in the sales of Grocery Outlet, Inc. to Hellman & Friedman LLC and Grocery Outlet's own senior management, National Vision to KKR and HMT to Erickson; and in its acquisition in The Portillo Restaurant Group, Inc. and its acquisition of cell tower companies in South America
- Providence Equity Partners in the take-privates of Blackboard, Inc. and Virtual Radiologic Corporation; its joint venture with the National Football League; the sale of a 49% equity stake in Yankees Entertainment & Sports Network; its investment in the media arm of Major League Soccer; a consortium of private equity firms and Bell Canada in the consortium’s $1.1 billion acquisition of Q9 Networks Inc.; along with Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in their successful $50 billion bid for Bell Canada, then the largest leveraged buy-out in history; and in its investment in and subsequent sale of Hulu
- A consortium including Providence Equity Partners, Madison Dearborn Capital, THL Partners, Texas Pacific Group and Saban Capital, in their $12 billion acquisition of Univision Communications, Inc. , the country’s largest Spanish language broadcaster
- Berkshire Partners in its acquisition of Portillo’s, a chain of retail restaurants
- A consortium including Providence Equity Partners, Blackstone Capital Partners, KKR and Ontario Teachers in their $26 billion bid for Clear Channel Communications
- A consortium, including Providence Equity Partners, in the acquisition of Shaw Brothers (Hong Kong) Limited
- Univision Communications in its receipt of a $1.2 billion investment by Grupo Televisa S.A.
- Univision in its $125 million sale of a minority stake to an investor group
- Newport Television LLC in the $286 million sale of multiple television stations, its Inergize Digital Media operations and certain programming rights
- AmSafe Global Holdings, Inc. in its $750 million sale to TransDigm Group Incorporated
Mr. Duffell also represents numerous portfolio companies on general corporate matters and merger & acquisition transactions. He has also represented a variety of publicly held clients on corporate governance and M&A matters.
Mr. Duffell has been ranked as a leading lawyer for Private Equity: Buyouts by Chambers Global and Chambers USA and as a leading lawyer for Corporate/Commercial by Chambers USA since 2009. Mr. Duffell has also been named a “Best Lawyer” for Corporate Law and Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law by Best Lawyers in America .