Ms. Sandhu is consistently recognized by Chambers USA as a leading lawyer for Technology & Outsourcing, where clients have praised her for “consistently producing work of the highest order.” She is also recognized by Legal 500 US; IAM Licensing 250’s “World’s Leading Patent & Technology Licensing Lawyers;” and IAM Patent 1000, where she is noted as an “amazing lawyer and an outstanding drafter. She is great at building relationships with counterparties.” She was also named an “IP Star” for licensing in New York by Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars; recognized as a Financial & Transactional Life Science Star by LMG Life Sciences Guide; named among the 2015 “Top Women” for Intellectual Property in New York by Super Lawyers; and shortlisted in the “Best in Technology” category at the Americas Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016.
Ms. Sandhu is a member of the Firm’s Diversity Committee. She is also actively involved with the Firm’s pro bono efforts and regularly represents Kids in Need of Defense. Ms. Sandhu was inducted into the YWCA’s Academy of Women Leaders for her outstanding professional achievement, civic commitment and leadership. She was also featured in Profiles in Diversity Journal’s 11th Annual WomenWorthWatching® issue.
- IMS Health Holdings, Inc. – Representation in its $17.6 billion all-stock merger of equals with Quintiles Transnational Holdings Inc.
- QLT Inc. – Representation in its acquisition of Aegerion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and in its minority investment in Aralez Pharmaceuticals Plc.
- Willis Group Holdings plc – Representation in its $18 billion merger of equals with Towers Watson & Co.
- IHS Inc. – Representation in its $13 billion merger of equals with Markit Limited.
- General Electric Capital Corporation
- Representation in its $32 billion sale of its global Commercial Distribution Finance, North American Vendor Finance and North American Corporate Finance platforms to Wells Fargo & Co.
- Representation in its $6.9 billion sale of its United States, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand fleet businesses to Element Financial Corporation, and in the sale of its European fleet businesses to Arval Service Lease S.A.
- General Electric Company
- Representation in connection with the development of policies, procedures and template license and development agreements for GE’s Global Research Center.
- Representation in connection with the creation of a clean technology partnership and financial joint venture with the Government of Abu Dhabi. The partnership encompassed a broad range of cutting-edge clean and renewable energy initiatives, including development of R&D capacity in Abu Dhabi and collaboration on Abu Dhabi's world-leading alternative energy project in Masdar City, a carbon neutral, zero-waste city currently under development.
- On-going representation in connection with a proposed technology joint venture with Aviation Industry Corporation of China to develop and market integrated avionics systems for commercial aircraft customers, including multiple inter-related technology transfer, license and other IP agreements.
- Brookfield Asset Management – Representation in connection with its $2.8 billion acquisition of all of the outstanding common shares not already owned by Brookfield Property Partners L.P. of Rouse Properties, Inc.
- Elizabeth Arden, Inc. – Representation in its $870 million sale to Revlon, Inc.
- Microsoft – Representing Microsoft on a variety of IT and intellectual property transactions.
- Sanofi – Representation in connection with potential acquisitions.
- Exelixis – On-going counseling in connection with various drug development collaborations.
- Lantheus Medical Imaging – On-going representation of Lantheus Medical Imaging in connection with various supply, manufacturing, licenses and marketing agreements, including negotiations with Covidien, Cardinal Health, and a subsidiary of Boehringer Ingelheim.
- PDL Biopharma – Represented and counseled PDL Biopharma in connection with its $25 million patent litigation settlement agreement and license agreement with Alexion Pharmaceuticals regarding PDL’s patents related to the humanization of antibodies and Alexion’s humanized antibody, Soliris (eculizumab).
- Applied Biosystems – Represented Applied Biosystems in various settlement, licensing and transactional matters.
- Arrow International Limited – Represented Arrow International Limited and certain of its affiliates in a transaction to collaborate with King Pharmaceuticals to commercialize novel formulations of Altace (ramipril).
- GE Healthcare – Representation in connection with GE Healthcare’s joint development agreement with the NFL to jump start the development of imaging technology that would detect concussions and encourage the creation of materials to better protect the brain from traumatic brain injury (TBI). As part of the program, GE hopes to develop machines that will predict who might sustain a concussion and show the degree of injury and the rate of recovery in real-time. The initiative also includes an open innovation challenge in which inventors, entrepreneurs, scientists, and academics will submit ideas on how to diagnose TBI and how to improve safety equipment to reduce head injuries.
- General Electric Company and GE Healthcare – Represented General Electric Company and GE Healthcare on the sale of a majority stake in its Homeland Protection business to The Safran Group for $580 million.
- Estée Lauder – Represented Estée Lauder in a joint venture with Allergen for the development and distribution of a line of product marketed through dermatologists, plastic surgeons and other doctors
- Warner Chilcott – Represented Warner Chilcott in analysis of development and co-promotion agreements.
- MedPointe Pharmaceuticals – Represented Medpointe in various licensing and transactional matters.
- CBS Corp. – Represented CBS Corp. in the $1.8 billion acquisition of CNET Networks, Inc.
- Yildiz Holding AS – Represented Yildiz Holding AS in the $850 million acquisition of Godiva Chocolatier Inc. from Campbell Soup Company.
- Avista Capital Partners – Advised Avista Capital Partners in connection with the $525 million acquisition of Bristol-Myers Squibb Medical Imaging division from Bristol-Myers Squibb Company.
- Bertelsmann AG(Case No. 06-15886 (9th Cir. 2006); Case No. 06-72515 (9th Cir. 2006); MDL 1369 (MHP) (N.D. Cal. 2003) – Litigation over the former Napster service; successful settlements in the single largest copyright infringement case in U.S. history.
- CBS Corporation - Represented CBS in the division of Viacom Inc. into "New Viacom" and CBS Corporation.
Representative Publications and Presentations
- Presentation on "Technology and IP Focused Joint Ventures, Collaborations and Alliances" (New York, Spring 2009)
- Technology And IP Focused Joint Ventures, Collaborations & Alliances – Part I (June 2010, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel)
- Patent Law Update: In re Bilski Federal Circuit Restricts Scope of Patentable Processes (November 11, 2008, Weil Briefing)
- Licensing: Best Practices and Strategies in the New Legal Environment (Cupertino, CA, August 12, 2008)
- Quanta: The Supreme Court Expands the Scope of Patent Exhaustion and Redefines Patent Licensing Principles (Fall 2008, Patent Strategy and Management)
- Patent Law Update: Quanta Computer, Inc., et al. v. LG Electronics, Inc., Supreme Court Expands Patent Exhaustion (June 20, 2008, Weil Briefing)
- Patent Case Law Updates – Quanta (June 2008, National South Asian Bar Association Convention)
- eBay Inc. v. MercExchange, L.L.C.: New Standard for Permanent Injunctions in Patent Cases (Fall 2006, New York State Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section Newsletter)
- A New Test for Conception of Biotech Inventions? (January 22, 2002, New York Law Journal)