Our practice is based around international and regional Private Equity, M&A, International Arbitration, Restructuring, and Corporate Governance. Our local lawyers are supported by Weil's other offices, and most notably by a dedicated practice group working out of London and New York.
These global resources enable us to source and provide the full range of legal services, tailor-made to suit the specific needs of a particular transaction. The Dubai office works closely with cross-disciplinary teams across Weil on a wide range of industries, including telecommunications, healthcare, financial services, public utilities, infrastructure, and transportation.
- GE on a multifaceted series of arrangements between GE and the Mubadala Development Company PJSC, including an $8 billion global financial services joint venture headquartered in Abu Dhabi;
- Kuwait Projects Company (Holding) KSC (closed) on the $2 billion merger of Showtime Arabia and the Orbit Group;
- Dubai International Capital LLC on the restructuring of German-based alumina producer Almatis; and
- Mubadala Development Company PJSC in its role as a leading member of a consortium, which also included Sony Corporation, in the consortium’s agreement to purchase EMI Music Publishing, the music publishing arm of EMI.
- M&A/Private Equity. Our M&A team has comprehensive experience in complex mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, minority investments, and buyouts. We advise clients across the Middle East on in-bound and out-bound transactions. We are an international pioneer in private equity, advising on all types of private equity transactions, including buyouts, growth capital investments, PIPEs, public-to-privates, recapitalizations, financings, divestitures, and fund formation.
- International Arbitration. For more than 50 years, Weil’s International Arbitration lawyers have represented public and private parties in high-stakes, high-value disputes across the Middle East and North Africa. Our success is based on our deep understanding of the business and political climate in the Arabic-speaking world, our facility to work fluently in Arabic, and our ability to appreciate and leverage cross-cultural nuances. Recent representations have included parties from or representations in Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
- Restructuring. The Weil restructuring team has been involved in countless international and U.S. restructurings over the past decade, and has led five of the six largest U.S. bankruptcy filings in history, including Lehman Brothers and General Motors. No other firm has the ability to marshal leading experts across the U.S., Europe, and Asia and put into practice the experience learned over decades of being at the top.
- Corporate Governance. We provide a wide range of advice to local organizations on crisis management, governance structures and processes, compliance, and internal investigations.