Keith Flaum is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice group in Weil’s Silicon Valley office. He represents both public and private companies in a wide range of industries, including the information technology and life sciences sectors. He has particular expertise in handling acquisitions of publicly traded companies and in cross-border acquisition transactions, as well as highly complex cross-border joint venture transactions. He also advises boards and special committees on fiduciary duties in the M&A context.
Some recent transactions handled by Mr. Flaum include:
- Applied Materials' $29 billion merger with Tokyo Electron, and its acquisition of Varian Semiconductor Equipment for approximately $4.9 billion
- Facebook’s $16 billion acquisition of WhatsApp
- Illumina’s successful defense of Roche’s $6.2 billion hostile takeover attempt
- eBay's acquisitions of GSI Commerce for approximately $2.4 billion, GittiGidiyor (based in Turkey) and Brands4Friends (based in Germany) - and eBay's sale of a majority interest in Skype for approximately $1.9 billion
- Oracle’s acquisitions of Taleo Corporation for $1.9 billion, Acme Packet, Inc. for $1.7 billion and Eloqua Inc. for $871 million
- RF Micro Devices’ $1.6 billion merger of equals with TriQuint Semiconductor
- Jazz Pharmaceuticals’ $1 billion acquisition of Gentium S.p.A.
- Riverbed Technology’s acquisition of OPNET Technologies for approximately $1 billion, as well as acquisitions of Zeus Technology in the United Kingdom and Aptimze in New Zealand
- Zynga's acquisitions of XPD Media in China and Unoh Ltd in Japan
Mr. Flaum is highly regarded in his practice area and has consistently been recognized as a leading M&A lawyer. He was recently named one of the “Top 100 Leading Lawyers" in California by the Daily Journal and was recognized in Who's Who Legal M&A 2010 as a leader in M&A work. Mr. Flaum was named as one of a dozen "Dealmakers of the Year" in 2006 by The American Lawyer for representing eBay, in its acquisition of Skype Technologies for up to $3 billion. In 2012 and in 2006, he was named one of the "California Attorneys of the Year" by California Lawyer. Mr. Flaum is also included in the Chambers Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers for Business, the Chambers Guide to America's Leading Lawyers for Business and Lawdragon's "Top 500 Leading Dealmakers."
Mr. Flaum has been actively involved for more than ten years in the Mergers and Acquisitions Committee of the American Bar Association's Section of Business Law, which is composed of more than 4,000 M&A specialists from across the United States, Canada and more than 20 other countries. He is currently the Vice Chair of the Committee, Chair of the International M&A Subcommittee, and a member of the Subcommittee on Acquisitions of Public Companies. Prior to serving as the Vice Chair, he chaired the Committee's M&A Market Trends Subcommittee, which tracks trends in public company and private company M&A transactions.
Mr. Flaum chairs presentations and lectures frequently on M&A-related topics. His speaking engagements include:
- Chair, “Let's Make a Deal – Getting to Yes with a Private Target Across the Pond” (presented in London, England by ABA Section of Business Law)
- Co-Chair, “The New Era in Technology M&A” (presented in Silicon Valley and San Francisco by Law Seminars International)
- “An Introduction to Basic M&A Legal Principles: The Ten Building Blocks of M&A” (UCLA Institute on Corporate Securities and Related Aspects of Mergers and Acquisitions)
- “Public Company Acquisitions: A Mock Negotiation” (UCLA Institute on Corporate Securities and Related Aspects of Mergers and Acquisitions)
- “Deal Protections” (The University of Texas Mergers and Acquisitions Institute in Dallas
- M&A Forum: What's So Hot About Going Private (ABA Section of Business Law)
- Co-Chair - Doing Deals: Understanding the Nuts &Bolts of Transactional Practice in an Uncertain Market (Practising Law Institute - San Francisco)
- “M&A Forum: Current Trends in Negotiating Indemnification Provisions in Acquisition Agreements” (ABA Section of Business Law)
- “Annual High Tech Mergers & Acquisitions Institute” (Glasser LegalWorks - Silicon Valley)
- “Negotiating Public Company Acquisitions: Understanding the Key Issues” (ABA Section of Business Law)
- “Material Adverse Change Provisions in Acquisition Agreements” (ABA Section of Business Law)
- “Confidentiality Agreements in the M&A Process: How to Get Your Deal Started the Right Way” (ABA Satellite Seminar - Washington, DC)
- M&A-related presentations at Harvard, Columbia, UCLA and Stanford Law Schools, and the Stanford Graduate School of Business
Mr. Flaum is the author of "First Annual Deal Points Study: Public Targets," published by The M&A Lawyer; "Antitrust Provisions: A Dealmaker's Guide," published by The M&A Law Journal; and "Some Observations on Drafting Material Adverse Change Provisions in Agreements for the Acquisition of a Business," published by the American Bar Association (1999). He is the co-author of "Selected Developments in California Corporations Law and Federal Securities Law," published by Business Law Section of the State Bar of California (1993-1995).