in the $28 billion sale of their stake in the Russian oil joint venture, TNK-BP, to state-owned oil company Rosneft.
as leader of an investment group which included the largest two pension funds in Colombia, in the $1.1 billion acquisition of a minority interest in Oleoducto Central, the largest crude oil transportation system in Colombia, from Talisman Energy Inc., Total Colombia Pipeline, and Compañía Española de Petróleos S.A.U.
in its acquisition, along with RedBird Capital Partners, LLC, of the Moneta Divide assets from Encana Oil & Gas Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Encana Corporation.
an independent energy company, in its $2.95 billion sale of a stake in its Egypt oil and gas business to, and the formation of a joint venture to pursue upstream oil and gas projects with, Sinopec, a petroleum and petrochemical company owned by the government of China.
an explorer for and producer of oil and gas in South America, in its $427 million sale to Pluspetrol Black River Corporation (a subsidiary of Pluspetrol Resources Corporation), the largest oil and gas producer in Peru and one of the largest gas producers in Argentina.
- in its sale to Ares Management, L.P. by EIG Management Company, LLC and Tailwater Capital, LLC.
- an energy sector investment company, and EIG Management Company LLC in $675 million senior secured term and revolving credit facilities.
- Brookfield Renewable Energy Partners in its acquisition of a portfolio of 19 hydroelectric plants and eight reservoir dams on several rivers in Maine with an aggregate capacity of 351MW and an enterprise value of $760 million, from a subsidiary of NextEra Energy Resources.
- Brookfield Utilities Issuer UK PLC (a subsidiary of Brookfield Utilities UK No 2 Limited), an electricity provider, in its private placement of £400 million and $300 million senior notes.
- BIF II US Renewable (BIF), an affiliate of Brookfield Power US Holding America Co. in a $350 million multi-draw bridge term loan facility for BIF to acquire, pursuant to a tender offer, subsidiary notes issued by White Pine Hydro. Also advised BIF in the tender offer and related consent solicitation.
in its $1.2 billion acquisition of Senvion SE (formerly REpower Systems SE), a manufacturer of onshore and offshore wind turbines, from the Suzlon Group.
- in its pending $3.3 billion sale of its portfolio of electric generating plants in Texas, New England, and the Mid-Atlantic states, to Atlas Power Finance, LLC.
- in its $1.2 billion sale of FirstLight Power Resources Holdings, Inc., the owner of hydroelectric power plants with 1.4 GW of generation capacity in New England, to Public Sector Pension Investment Board.
Barclays and Goldman Sachs in their $7.2 billion bridge commitment to Exelon Corporation, one of the largest competitive U.S. power generators, to finance its proposed acquisition of Pepco Holdings Inc., one of the largest energy delivery companies in the mid-Atlantic Region of the United States.
- in its $3.3 billion acquisition of Lufkin Industries, a provider of artificial lift technologies for the oil and gas industry and a manufacturer of industrial gears.
- in its $535 million acquisition of a stake in China XD Electric Co. Ltd., one of China's largest equipment providers, as part of a partnership to deliver a full line of electrical transmission and distribution and grid automation solutions to customers around the world.
a joint venture of Hess Corporation and certain founding partners, in Hess Corporation's sale of its interest in HETCO to Oaktree Capital Management.
- in its $76 billion acquisition of all the outstanding equity securities of Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, Kinder Morgan Management and El Paso Pipeline Partners — at the time, the largest energy merger since Exxon and Mobil combined in 1999.
- in its $5 billion acquisition of Copano Energy, a midstream natural gas company which owns an interest in or operates approximately 6,900 miles of pipelines and nine processing plants primarily in the south central United States.
- in its $38 billion acquisition of El Paso Corporation, creating one of the largest energy companies in the world and in El Paso’s concurrent $7.15 billion sale of its E&P production business, EP Energy Corporation.
- in its $2.86 billion initial public offering, the largest private equity-backed IPO in U.S. history at the time.
- Richard Kinder and his senior management team in connection with their $22 billion management buyout of Kinder Morgan, Inc.
- in its capacity as a holder of preferred equity in connection with the approximately $18 billion merger of Energy Transfer Partners and Regency Energy Partners.
- in its capacity as a holder of preferred equity in connection with the approximately $7.5 billion merger of Crestwood Equity Partners and Crestwood Midstream Partners.
- and GSO/Blackstone in their sale, alongside EIG Global Energy Partners, of $1.25 billion of preferred shares of CHK Utica, L.L.C., an oil and gas producer in the Utica Shale, to Chesapeake Exploration, L.L.C., a subsidiary of Chesapeake Energy Corporation.
- as a member of an investment group, in the group's $1.25 billion purchase of preferred shares of a newly formed unrestricted, non-guarantor consolidated Chesapeake Energy subsidiary, which was formed to own and develop oil and gas producing acreage in Oklahoma, and an overriding royalty interest in the first 1,000 new net wells to be drilled on its leasehold acreage.
an independent company engaged in the exploration, development and production of natural gas and oil in the Gulf of Mexico and onshore Gulf Coast area, in the $3.4 billion acquisition of MMR by international mining company Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold as part of a $20 billion three-way deal in which Freeport also acquired Plains Exploration & Production Company.
Hungary's biggest company and an oil and gas refiner, in its sale of a €500 million majority stake in MMBF Földgáztároló Ztr.
Citicorp North America, Inc., as joint lead arranger and joint bookrunner with Barclays Bank, and Citibank, N.A. as administrative agent, in connection with $500 million superpriority senior secured debtor in possession new money, first out credit facility for Patriot Coal Corporation and its affiliated debtors in their chapter 11 cases. Prior to the commencement of the chapter 11 cases, Weil assisted Citi and Barclays in negotiating and obtaining the new money DIP facility for Patriot by working with Citi and Barclays to construct a creative solution with respect to certain collateral disposition issues as well as to ensure that Patriot’s existing lenders (who became the second out lenders under the DIP facility) would be willing to participate on a nonpriming, but nonetheless subordinate, basis. The DIP facility was paid in full, in cash, under the chapter 11 plan.
a major producer of propylene that owns and operates the only propane dehydrogenation facility in the United States, in its $2.1 billion sale to Flint Hills Resources, LLC, a refining, chemicals and bio-fuels company.
a special purpose acquisition company sponsored by Riverstone Holdings, in its $1.7 billion acquisition of a controlling stake in Centennial Resource Production, LLC, an oil and gas exploration and production enterprise operating in the Southern Delaware Basin, from NGP Energy Capital Management.
in its formation of a $425 million energy investment fund and, together with Landmark Partners, that fund's acquisition of oil and gas investments spun out from HM Capital Partners LLC.
- in its $1.6 billion combination with Southcross Energy Partners LP to form Southcross Holdings LP (with sponsors EIG Global Energy Partners, Charlesbank Capital Partners and Tailwater Capital), an Eagle Ford-focused midstream operation with equity interests in TexStar and Southcross Energy assets.
- in its $325 million sale of a crude oil pipeline gathering and storage assets and natural gas liquids assets in South Texas to NuStar Logistics.
an investor in onshore U.S. natural gas and oil, in its acquisition of R/C Sugarcane LLC, an upstream oil and gas company, from Riverstone Holdings LLC.
a provider of energy midstream and pipeline development services, in the sale of its joint venture, Wildcat Permian Services, to an affiliate of JP Energy Development LP.
a domestic energy producer with operations in the western United States, in its $2.75 billion acquisition of RKI Exploration & Production, LLC.