- IP matters arising in mergers, acquisitions, spin-offs, and other global corporate transactions
- False advertising/Lanham Act claims
- Representations in investigations before federal and state regulators
- Trade Secret Protection and Restrictive Covenants
- Bring Your Own Device to Work (BYOD) Policies and Related Social Media Issues
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) safe harbors and compliance requirements
- Development of terms of service, fair use, and infringement risks (both direct and secondary)
- Defenses associated with the clients’ service offerings and product development initiatives
- Cutting-edge secondary liability issues, including contributory and vicarious infringement issues
- Trademark and copyright licensing requirements
- Trademark strategy, enforcement, and, when necessary, litigation
- Music licensing
M&A, Spin-offs, Global Transactions
- Weil also represented Facebook in its landmark $16 billion acquisition of WhatsApp, a provider of a cross-platform mobile messaging application that allows a client to exchange messages without having to pay for short messaging service (SMS).
- Weil represented Facebook in all IP aspects of its acquisitions of Parse, a mobile app-support company, and of the Atlas online advertising platform from Microsoft Corp.
Other IP Counseling
Weil was one of 10 firms ranked in the highest tier in New York for each of the publication’s primary IP practice areas: trademark, copyright, and patent. The firm was also recognized for its IP prowess in California and Washington, DC.
Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars 2013