Representative of Weil “one firm” approach, our tax lawyers work closely with our corporate, bankruptcy and restructuring groups to advise in connection with the acquisition, disposition, restructuring and bankruptcy of financially troubled companies. Our tax lawyers have extensive experience in advising debtors, creditors (including creditors committees, banks, financial institutions and insurance companies), equityholders, investors, buyers and sellers alike.
Including nationally recognized leaders in the field, our tax lawyers assist in all phases of a restructuring (whether in or outside of bankruptcy), including:
- Developing employee retention programs,
- Advising in connection with modifications of debt,
- Pre-bankruptcy planning to manage sales and employment tax liabilities,
- Dealing the with IRS and other tax authorities in obtaining rulings and closing agreements where appropriate,
- Representing debtors before the Internal Revenue Service and other taxing authorities in resolving disputes over prepetition and administrative tax liabilities,
- Structuring tax efficient plans of reorganization, including evaluating and designing structures to retain valuable corporate tax attributes, and
- Working with all parties in interest to align the interests of debtor and creditors in all tax matters.